My calf circumference is 13 inches, which makes it somewhat tricky to find well-fitting knee-high sleek boots that are NOT supposed to gape around the calf area. Slouchy boot styles on the other hand, are easier to fit because the gaping works with the relaxed vibe of the boot.
There is good news and bad news. You’ll find tall sleek boots to fit a narrow 12 to 13.5 inch calf, but you’ll more than likely pay a premium price. Brands like Stuart Weitzman, Donald Pliner, Prada, Cole Haan, Chanel, Aquatalia, Munro, Sudini, and La Canadienne regularly make tall boots to fit narrow calves, but they’re expensive. Your best bet is to keep your eyes peeled for a sale.
Here are 10 dressy and casual boot styles with a narrow calf circumference. I’ve had most of the styles on my own feet and can vouch for their comfort.
- Vaneli ‘Riwana’ Boot: A few of our forum members have raved about this classic little riding boot, and the reviews are great. Currently on sale.
- Aquatalia by Marvin K ‘Minnow’ Weatherproof Boot: Casual and simple. The shade of brown is rich and lovely.
- Aquatalia by Marvin K ‘Undy’ Weatherproof Woven Shaft Boot: I own these and they are heavenly. What an absolutely beautifully made boot. The elasticized top actually stretches out to 15 inches, which is the measurement given in the description of the style. But they also fit my 13 inch calves extremely well.
- Dr. Martens 20 Eye Zip Boot: You can adjust the laces so that they fit both a 12 inch and 15 inch calf. The shafts on these are really high so unless you are regular height or taller, they will be too tall for the bottom half of the leg. I stand at 5ft 6 and the height of the shaft only just fits.
- Stuart Weitzman ‘Demi’ Stretch Suede Boot: A stunningly elegant boot.
- Gentle Souls Mona Beam: These aren’t as elegant as the Weitzman’s but they are fun in a more retro and ’70s way. Nice slim ankle fit.
- Cole Haan Air Rosalyn Boot 75: A classic boot with a tidy heel and dressy vibe. Super soft leather and fab for a formal office.
- Frye Riding Chelsea Boots: Rugged and great with jeans.
- Fitzwell Luna Boots: A pretty good price for a sleek boot.
- La Canadienne Dorina: This short shaft height makes them ideal for narrow calved petites.
There’s also the Franco Sarto Yonkers boot that I featured a few weeks ago, and Duoboots make boots to fit a narrow calf. It’s a costly exercise but you can have the calf widths of boots tapered to fit a narrow calf if you bring them to a skilled cobbler.
It’s also important to make sure that the shafts of sleek boots aren’t too high, which is especially crucial for petites. A boot can actually fit in the calf but still gape because it’s too tall for your leg. In that case look for boots with a shorter shaft height.