Boots are magical. As long as they’re comfortable, I adore them in any size or form. Add the right pair of boots to an outfit and your style quotient doubles. Your wardrobe should therefore include at least a few pairs of versatile boots (unless you live in a year round tropical climate).
This season boasts a whole slew of interesting ankle boot styles that can be adapted to both classic and daring looks:
- Slouchy flat ankle boots are the latest look and in keeping with the retro 80’s revival fad. They work best tucked into skinny or straight leg jeans and were all the rage on the streets of London.
- Cuffed styles are another 80’s inspired trend and great tucked into jeans (without the legwarmers this time around).
- Tapered ankle boots are versatile, smart and sleek with pants or jeans – either skinny, boot cut or wide-legged.
- Wedged versions are streamlined and modern.
- Booties were fringe statements last season but completely mainstream now. It’s the boot with the least coverage and therefore ideal for warmer weather. They are particularly comfortable with elastic inserts at the ankle.
Ankle boots with skirts and dresses is an ultra fashion forward look, but not one that everyone can pull off. It’s not easy getting the shape of an ankle boot to work with the shape of your legs and the silhouette of the skirt. You’ll also need to think about the right type of hose to wear with this look. It is still much easier to pop a pair of fabulous knee-high boots underneath a skirt. Stay tuned for long boots tomorrow.