Stylish people are not only well dressed, they are usually also perfectly polished. Style icons like Kate Moss and Sienna Miller that exemplified the “just got out of bed look” are a rarity (and have the advantage of being adorned with designer clothing). The rest of us need to be immaculately groomed.
This doesn’t always come naturally, so here are some tips that will make it easy for everyone:
- Dress well – your clothes need to be current, fit well and suit your body type irrespective of your fashion persona.
- Stay neat, clean and crinkle free – make sure that your clothes are ironed, stain free and in place when you wear them.
- Wear well cared for clothes and shoes – refrain from wearing anything that’s shabby.
- Make sure your eyebrows and lips are defined – eyebrows frame your face and shaping them is imperative (see “Make-up, or Make-down?“). Nourished lips (gloss or a bit of lipstick) always seem to finish off an outfit.
- Style your hair – acquire a hairstyle that is simple, easy to manage and that you can keep down if you want to. A hairstyle that requires you pull it back with numerous hair slides, clips and anything else resembles clutter (especially if they have to compete with accessories), and clutter is not good grooming. If you are going to pull your hair back, a neat low pony tail with a side parting is always classy.
- Care for your hands and feet – keeping your nails one length is important but wearing nail colour on your hands is not. If you wear open toe shoes – it’s always a good idea to have buffed your feet.
- Accessorize correctly – be mindful of how you match your accessories. Wear pieces that compliment your outfit without resembling a Christmas tree.
- Shave and wax regularly – There is nothing more polished then smooth shiny skin.
- Maintain good posture – standing up straight always makes you look taller and slimmer.
- Wear a scent – people should be able to tell when you have arrived if they can smell you before seeing you.
Looking polished is not just for those that need to look professional. You can look polished while you garden, shop, cook, travel, take the dogs out for a walk or play with children in the park. It’s not about being smartly dressed – it’s about being well groomed.
Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly epitomized immaculate grooming.