We can start shopping for autumn! It’s my favourite season and shopping for it is merely the cherry on the top. It’s always difficult to select what to buy so far ahead of time, but hopefully the process can be made a bit easier for you with a list of the hot items for the season. Remember to be mindful of your body type, budget, lifestyle and fashion persona when you read the list – it’s very broad. Make savvy choices about what shapes and trends work best for you.
The hot list:
- Long black boots – equestrian and military influences are strong. Wear them over skinny pants or underneath skirts.
- The “ankle bootie” – this is the “it shoe” for the season. It’s a high heeled little boot that finishes delicately over your ankle bones. It’s supposed to be worn under skirts with tights or with any type of pant.
- Anything patent – think black, grey, red and brown in just about anything that you can find.
- Leopard prints – whether its gloves, a scarf, hat, belt, bag or shoe; if you like it and its leopard – buy it.
- Bubble skirts – they’ll be more drapy then when we saw them 25 years ago and therefore more flattering.
- Capes – for the very daring. This is stylish if you wear them cropped.
- Menswear pants – in checks and plaids, this will be elegant the wider they are on leg – very Katherine Hepburn.
- Skinny jeans – for the boyish bodies among us to wear with heels; otherwise to tuck into your long boots.
- Military jacket/coat – dare I say it, but preferably in black.
- Faux fur neck trims – on any jacket, coat or accessory.
- Hounds tooth – (small black and white check) also in absolutely anything that you like.
- Big bag – if you don’t already own a big black or red bag, do not hesitate.
- Anything colourful – anything colourful that you love is going to be good idea. Brightening up the darkness of the season ahead will be fabulous.
If you are in the USA, then you can kick off your shopping at their amazing Anniversary Sale. Pay for your items in the menswear or homeware departments to save time. Doors open at 7am on Friday morning and you can be out by 9am if you focus.