Last Spring I popped the revival of the ‘80’s leggings fashion fad into the “teenybopper box”. But this year I can’t seem to get enough of the look. The adapted trend can be worn in a flattering and age-appropriate way. The revival of dresses, minis and tunics this season have given leggings a stylish return. I’ll give you 7 reasons why you should spend $7 and get yourself a pair to experiment:
- They tone down the “dressy” aspect of wearing a dress. Match leggings with a jersey dress, add some flats and you’re ready for anything.
- They give you coverage if you are skin-shy about your legs.
- They are incredibly comfortable. Pairing a sturdy dress with leggings feels like you’re wearing sweats and a top instead of a frock.
- They add an interesting layering element to your ensemble. Choose a colour that co-ordinates with your dress or top and be playful with patterns and colours if you dare. If not, stick to black.
- They keep you warm when the air-conditioning is freezing.
- They are inexpensive, and an easy way of injecting the right amount of “right now” into your wardrobe.
- They are a great transitional item for Autumn. Add leggings and a cropped jacket or cardigan to an existing dress and you’re hip for when temperatures start to cool.
Don’t get caught up with the notion that you need to have thin legs to wear leggings. All they do is peek out from under your mid-thigh or knee-length dress or tunic. Make sure that what you wear on top is flattering and the leggings look will fall into place. This dynamic duo is best with knitted dresses and tunics, but certain sturdy woven styles can also work. Last week, I was thrilled to see my ready-to-pop pregnant friend in a gorgeous vintage empire-cut maternity dress that she had matched with black leggings and wedges – she never looked better!
When I’ve introduced this ultra-comfy look to my clients, they haven’t looked back.