Writing yearly summaries is tricky for me. I've never been one to reflect much on the previous year. But everyone else is doing it, so I'll try! I think I'll focus mostly on what I bought.

In early 2021 I continued to refine my new winter formula: warm skirt, layering top, cardigan, and sweater tights. I made a few more skirts to give me more options. There was no dark green corduroy to be had, but I got a nice vintage light-green tweed and a Christmas green wool (bad picture).

Spring
As the weather warmed up, I made a few linen skirts (dark blue below) to see if I could carry the formula through into transitional weather: short sleeve top, no tights, cardigan for chilly mornings). It didn't really work, though. I wasn't usually pleased with the top + skirt combination on its own; the top needed to be a collared blouse to balance, and the linen skirts didn't hang the same way either with or without petticoat. It worked better to wear a regular short-sleeve dress with a cardigan over it.

In early March, I placed a very large order with Emmy Design. The S/S collection was a slam dunk for me, with lots of beautiful mid tones. I held myself to a stormy blue camisole/cardigan twinset, and both periwinkle and jade green cardigans. Unfortunately, customs in Chicago sat on my package for 7 weeks and it wasn't released until Memorial Day. (Someone earned a lot of double time pay that day.) By that time it was so warm my new cardigans only got wear in the A/C at church!

I ordered a couple of layering tops on sale from Lands' End. Flannel shirts are an old love but I struggle to style them; I tried them with the skirts but the proportions weren't usually right. The white button-front shirt didn't look as cute as I hoped on its own, but it's a really good layering piece with more interest than an ordinary tee.

I also discovered Fable England and ordered a bunch of jewelry. I really liked the brooch options they have, and also that they provide coordinating pieces. I love sets! Brooches are an excellent way to dress up cardigans. I'd also been looking for a necklace with a warm pink/red tone for summer wear, so the enameled strawberry was perfect. I started with the strawberries and the bees, and added the silver acorn and oak leaf set. The warm peach rhinestones in the silver acorn and oak leaf were a nice change and I knew they would look really good in the fall.

I made a new dress for Easter. It's a really rotten sewing room picture, but I used a 1950s pattern with a wrap-front bodice and 10-gore skirt. (SO MANY SEAMS.) The fabric is a lightweight embroidered cotton blend with a border, so I used the border for the wrap front and the skirt hem. It was fun!

Summer
For the long hot months I wore the linen spectrum dresses. I kept up my daily walks around the neighborhood, though I moved it earlier and earlier. There's no cool temperature, but it was tolerable if I left the house no later than 8:30. Usually I wore old flat espadrille sandals, though the wooden sole on one pair started to wear down. I wore the heck out of my Fable earrings and necklaces; a lightweight necklace and earrings is about all I can bear to add in the summer.

I also went ahead and ordered more from the Emmy Design S/S collection, adding a brick red wool cardigan for fall, two lighter weight cardigans in lavender and Nile green, and a gorgeous 1920s reproduction silk scarf in green and blue. This order did not go through Chicago customs, so it arrived pretty quickly.

When eShakti sent me a pretty good coupon, I browsed the site and bought a gorgeous pink floral dress. I adore prints like this, and clever use of the layout! It's like an ombré in floral form. Using custom measurements, the dress fit perfectly. It might be my Easter dress for next year.

I did less sewing this summer than last summer, but I did use an amazing piece of vintage striped material in shades of blue, purple, green, and gray. I used a 1950s vintage pattern that was designed for use with striped fabric. There's even a matching belt with covered buckle.

Fall
Fall was late and weird this year, but I did shopping anyway. Layering tees were on my list, since I'd gotten really tired of the same white and black ones. Lands' End had some great options, both short and long sleeve. I also finally got the yellow tee that vanished early in the NAS; it's a mustard, but works with a lot.

Succumbing to my favorite pink, I also got a few active wear pieces of Lands' End. I've long favored skorts for yard work and the occasional bike ride. The tank top I still need to take to get shortened, since it is way too long, but I just couldn't leave it. The linen shirt is actually a good match despite looking a different color in the Find. I'm planning to use it as a light coverup and for some sun protection when working in the yard; it's not something I could really wear buttoned up.

I also placed my third Emmy Design order this year. The two-piece sweater dress is spectacular! And I love the cardigan as well. The order wasn't held up this time, but Emmy took almost 4 weeks to dispatch, so I only got a couple dress wears in before December. I'm looking forward to wearing it more the rest of the winter and into spring, since it's pretty lightweight.

I bit the bullet and tried some new jeans as well. After some orders and returns, and an alteration, I'm enjoying some so-called "Skinny Kick" jeans from AE. Usually I really dislike how the flare increases with the size, so what was a cute little bootcut flare in size 4 is a flappy, sloppy mess in size 12. In these, however, they increased the width of the whole leg instead of keeping the knees tight. The effect on me is almost like a straight leg with a little flare. I'm enjoying them when the weather's warm. The center front seams are fun, though it's funny the way they bend in at the hip on me.

I also bought a couple more puffers. Last year I realized that although I like hoods, they do interfere with wearing my hair down. I started browsing Poshmark and ended up with a couple of hoodless coats. The blue one is more of a navy but I'm very happy with it. I also was looking for a more knee-length puffer. The white was an attempt at that, but I don't think it's worked out as well. The belt doesn't really give it shape, it just reinforces the sack-of-potatoes-with-string-tied-around look. And it's still not as long as I like. I may sell it and try again!

And I made my dark green corduroy skirt! The color is "oregano" and it showed up in late summer. I ordered it probably in September and finished the skirt just in time to try it out during a brief cool snap. It's been a fantastic addition to my wardrobe, since the green is subtle enough to not fight with anything. My favorite combination is with the brick red cardigan, over a pink layering tee, and with the silver acorn jewelry.

Winter
So far for winter, I've added some more knitwear. Mostly due to YLF, I got the M&S green sweater and the Ann Taylor green striped sweater. I also got the white sweater skirt from Macy's. It's an interesting feel on me; I feel a lot more bulky in it than in my full skirt + petticoat! But it's also warm and cozy.

And I ended up with a "vintage" Old Navy zip-front cardigan from ebay. I idly typed in a search that included wool and ended up with some pretty good options. Plus this cardigan had a hip flare that most cardigans now don't have. (I'm not shaped like a tube, so they don't fit well.) This cardigan arrived just in time for Christmas, so it was a great option to wear over my Christmas tee for our warm holiday!

Wrap-up
It looks like I did a lot of shopping, but there's nothing that I regret (except maybe the white puffer, and it's more an "oh darn"). The newest pieces aren't proven yet but I didn't rush into them. And it was fun to shop for the Ann Taylor and Macy's pieces in person, so I could try them on without having to deal with shipping and returns.

Plans for next year? I'm trying to identify wardrobe holes. Like casual shoes aside from ballet flats to wear with the skirt/cardigan combination; I am considering a pair of vintage oxblood penny loafers. And feet in general are getting very fussy in heels, so I may need to visit a podiatrist. And I always have more sewing plans. I just finished a 1930s blanket coat, and I'm starting a couple of 1950s flannel dresses. Whittling down the fabric stash is always a goal!