The pandemic makes the world feel like it’s in a time warp. The days can be slow, but the weeks and months fly by. We’ll be ringing in 2021 before we know it. But first, it’s Labor Day Weekend in the US, which means that there are sales aplenty. Here are some things that caught my eye and worked on my clients.
Nordstrom Labor Day Sale
There are some great items available.
- Gibson x International Women's Day Fancy Ashley Asymmetrical Flowy Midi Skirt: This skirt is roomy but streamlined and comes in two other patterns. Nice in motion and a little romantic. The fit moulds to most body types and is quite forgiving. Runs TTS, or size up if you like a wider fit.
- Sam Edelman Double Breasted Trench Coat: A moss green trench coat is a rare find. Nice quality, versatile length, and good fit.
- Topshop Balloon Leg High Waist Jeans: '80s Balloon Jeans Fabness. Best on those with a defined waist and longer rise. Runs small.
- LOVEAPPELLA Loveapella Camo Print Brushed Long Sleeve Top: A comfy cosy top for WFH and Team Neutral. Or feel free to wear it with a pencil skirt and sneakers.
- Karen Kane Cotton Cargo Jacket: An easy and lightweight topper for mild weather. Good on a larger bust, and both an hourglass and apple-shaped body type.
- The North Face Aphrodite 2.0 Capri Pants: Athleisure bottoms with sassy ruching to make things more interesting. Moulds to most body types. Available at Zappos in more neutrals, and at REI in extended sizes.
- Wit & Wisdom Ab-Solution Cuffed Denim Shorts: I have these in dark denim for my beach and pool capsule. VERY comfy and a great streamlined fit. The soft and stretchy fabric moulds to the shape of your figure. Nice mid rise. Personally, I love the longer length.
- Karen Kane Blouson Sleeve Peasant Blouse: A pretty and breezy peasant top for hot days to wear with shorts, or jeans and pants on cooler days. Comes in more colours.
- ROXY Snowstorm Plus Waterproof DryFlight WarmFlight Insulated Snowsports Jacket: A glitzy black short and fitted puffer that can be used for snow sports.
- Nili Lotan Malia Long Sleeve Stripe Cotton & Linen Midi Dress: An unstructured shirt dress for Team Tall. It's linen so you have to be at peace with the crease.
- Vince Wolfe High Top Sneaker: Hi-tops are my favourite casual cold-weather shoe, and an olive version is unique. These are canvas, instead of the leather type that I wear, so probably best for mild Winters, or just for Fall.
- Caslon Cotton Twill Shorts: Lots of happy clients in these shorts, that work best on a wider waist because the cut is quite straight. Comes in other neutrals.
- Via Spiga Packable Hooded Raincoat: A lightweight raincoat with interesting design details. Check out the back pleat. Runs big and comes in pink and black. The chartreuse is the most unique.
- Veronica Beard Martel Plaid Dickey Jacket: If you like Veronica Beard blazers, this one is nice for Fall. A little longer than some of her other blazers.
- Ecco BIOM Life Mary Jane Sneaker: Mint sneakers in a Mary Jane-style are hard to find. These are comfortable and work well on higher insteps. Comes in other colours.
- VAGABOND SHOEMAKERS Betsy Tall Chelsea Boot: Air-force blue boots are rare, and these are magical under long bootcuts. As good with wide crops because of the tailored fit on the ankle. Best on a lower volume foot. Quite comfy, but not super comfy.
- STEVEN NEW YORK Knit Wedge Sneaker: These look comfortable, streamlined and futuristic. SPARKLY. Runs narrow, and comes in grey and black.
- NAKED FEET Zeke Ankle Strap Sandal: Mixed Metal Fabness, but I don't know how they feel and fit. Chunky yet refined. Comes in a navy and black combination.
- MARC FISHER LTD Yale Chelsea Boot: I have many happy clients in this boot that comes in many colours and patterns. Works on a range of foot shapes, both high and low in volume. Size up for high volume. Quite comfortable. This animal print is unique because it incorporates some blush pink.
- MIA Devon Stripe High Waist Crop Wide Leg Jeans: Vertical stripes are unique, especially on a pair of wide crops. These have some stretch, and glide over straighter curves and straight hips and thighs.
- Topshop Pleated Crushed Satin Skirt: '90s Crushed Pleat Fabness for Team Pleated skirt. Cute with a cropped top, tucked top, tie-front top, or boxy shorter top.
You can see the items alongside my descriptions on the collection page.
Here are two items from the sales that deserve special mention.
Banana Republic Essential Leather Sneaker
These are very simple, clean, crisp and versatile. They run quite wide and long, so I sized down half a size, and no need for additional insoles. They will probably work well with orthotics in your regular size. VERY comfortable.
They were $138 full price, but I eventually got them for a very unexpected $19. Apparently there were multiple promotions that day, and I had a discount coupon I was able to redeem.
H&M Draped Mesh Dress
I love a good mesh dress because they generally fit well, look good, don’t crease, are robust and low maintenance to launder. This was a winner on one of our forum members and comes in three nice patterns. It’s long, but easy to alter. Simply hack off some length and no need to hem. The ruching is an acquired taste, and quite effective in the patterns. Stretchy, comfy, and great with a long open cardigan to keep out the Autumn chill.
We will be taking a break on Labor Day. If you live in the US, we hope you’re having a safe and peaceful long weekend.