While many of us in the Northern hemisphere are getting ready to refresh our Spring wardrobes, designers are showing their Fall/Winter 2016 collections in New York City this week. I’m enjoying following the media coverage, and wanted to share a few things that caught my eye:
- 207 designers explain their Fall 2016 inspiration in one phrase and one image.
- If you are interested in behind-the-scenes info, Fashionista’s What fashion week is like for a hairstylist and What fashion week is like for a DJ are fun reads.
- Street style fans will find lots of eye candy on the Vogue and Fashionista websites.
- Racked has you covered if you need close-ups of the bags, accessories, and shoes the models and street style stars are sporting.
- And then, there’s the runway shows themselves. My personal favourite so far is Jil Sander Navy with its neutral colour palette and eye-catching layering techniques.
Fab Links from Our Members
Annagybe thought designer Yohji Yamamoto says some very interesting things about the current state of avant-garde fashion in this older interview, especially in view of the recent forum conversation on the COS collection.
Suz reports bad news for Canadian forum members. The beloved Danier leather stores are set to close if a buyer cannot be found.
Sally talks about accessorization and figure flattery. Angie thought the guidelines are a great starting point on the subject.
Kkards came across an interesting take on why fashion retail is struggling.
UmmLila had never heard the term “fuccboi” before, but she thought this Racked article had some interesting points about following trends in fashion just for the sake of following them.
Joyce B found this interesting Ted talk from model Ashley Graham on body acceptance.
Vildy is intrigued by Kelly Reemtsen’s work, depicting women in typical retro fit-and-flare frocks, usually holding some kind of large implement or power tool.
This Guardian article on how workout leggings set the pace in fashion caught Kiwigal/Sally’s attention.
This article, about how the Palace of Versailles has inspired the Oscar de la Renta Fall 2016 collection, is making La Belle Demimondaine want to wear brocades now!
What surprised Banoffi in this article on “fast fashion” and the growing number of retailers who are offering durable and ethical alternatives, is that women wear most garments an average of 7 times.