If you live in the USA (or happen to be visiting in late July), mark your calendars! This year’s Nordstrom Anniversary Sale starts on Friday, July 20. For those of you unfamiliar with the event, it’s when Nordstrom previews their new season merchandise (Autumn 2007 collections) and offers it at insane prices for two weeks only. Prices are marked up again after the sale period. Meredeth at Noveau Image has a super post explaining the origins of this renowned shopping event.
I was able to get a “sneak peak” at most of their sale offerings last week and here is my hot list of exceptional items by department.
Narrative: This department is best during the anniversary sale. You’ll see lots of short cropped leather biker jackets, woolen swing coats, trenches and black and white hounds tooth. Hot items:
- “Via Spiga” black single-breasted belted coat with cracked black patent trim $199
- “Gallery” single-breasted modern microfiber belted trench coat available in black, tan, burnt orange, khaki and brown. For $98 this item is my hottest pick because a trench is forever fashionable
- “Laundry” ivory satin belted puffer jacket perfect for casual settings and après ski.
Individualist: If classy career wear is on your list, make a bee-line for this department. You’ll see neutrals and jewel tones and lots of A-line silhouettes. Hot items:
- All suiting by “ Classique Entier”, “BCBG”, “Laundry” and “Trina Turk”
- Modern classic slacks by “Wowyn” for $107
- “Charles Gray” trapeze coats in grey, black and tan for $235
T.B.D: Denim and denim friendly items always make this department attractive. You’ll see a continuation of hippy chic easy swing tops, trapeze tunics and empire cuts. Hot items:
- “Halogen” corduroy three-quarter-sleeved cropped jackets with adorable ’50’s inspired detailing available in an assortment of colours for $58
- “Halogen” brushed cotton long sleeved peplum jacket available in an assortment of colours for $72
- “Halogen” voluminous microfiber trench available in black and khaki for $84
- Wide-legged extra dark blue denim “7 for all Mankind” jeans for $109
Point of View: This department is more affordable than Individualist and a good stop for both casual and career wear. Hot items:
- All “Semantics” suiting. Their cropped trapeze style jackets are fabulous for $84
- “Live a little” checked bell sleeve jacket for $52
- “David Kahn” jeans for $129
- “Nine West” tunic knitwear for between $49 -$69
- “Michael Kors” cream swing cardigan for $65
Shoes: This is usually the area that I head for first, but I was disappointed with their sale offerings this year. There is nothing wildly enticing if you have your basics for Spring and Autumn covered. But if you are in the market for basics, you might be interested in these options:
- “Franco Sarto” ankle boots available in both black and brown for $64
- “Steve Madden” black riding boots for $94
- “Coach” tan and cream fashion sneakers for $64
- “Paul Green” black riding boots for $250
- “Tasha” Patent car shoes for $150
Petite Focus: This is the best department at this year’s anniversary sale. My favorites are too many to list. Be sure to spend time here if you are a petite.
Savvy: This is usually my favourite department at Nordstrom, but unfortunately no great shakes with their sale offerings this year and sadly, nothing here makes my hot list.
B.P: This area is always worth a look if you’re young, ultra trendy, and happy to spend money on a fashion fad. Be mindful of the quality in this area though, it’s “throw away fashion at a price”.
The first few days of the sale are chaotic and Nordstrom stores will hold special Anniversary Sale hours on July 20, 21 and 22. Doors open at 7am ladies… keep those fashion feet moving!