It’s at the Grammys where you’ll see celebrities (and their stylists) have plenty of fun with fashion. Creative and quirky musicians try not to take themselves too seriously as they break red carpet fashion rules in their edgy and daring outfits. Artistic license, a sense of humour and lots of skin make this award show the over-the-top fashion event that it is.
Ladies raised their metallic hemlines while gents sported tuxedos with bling and sneakers. Poufy pony tails, tattoos, body piercings, braces, punk hairstyles and far too much make-up are perfectly acceptable at the Grammys. With an explosion of funky individuality, long elegant dresses seemed tame and boring by comparison. But those are the ones that made my favourites list:
- LeAnne Rimes in a Grecian chocolate brown Monique Luillier was graceful and goddess-like.
- Carrie Underwood was a pretty barbie doll picture in her romantic metallic dress and cascading blonde curls
- Shakira tamed her wild locks in her flawless classic red strapless Carolina Herrera
- Jennifer Hudson embraced her curves and showed just enough skin in her simple red halter-neck dress
- Christina Ricci was striking in her diagonal vintage creation
Few seemed to pull off the mini dress stylishly, but my vote goes to Ciara in her short jewel-encrusted baby-doll halter dress. And just for fun, Imogene Heap and OK Go get my vote for most outrageous.
Elegance amongst the flair and daring that separates the Grammys from other award ceremonies this season.