I often refer to an outfit, style or item as having "a hard edge" - either to describe looks on the forum, on the blog and while working with clients. I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about.

I also describe a look that is not hard edge, or less hard edge as "softer". For example, I will say I like how x,y or z "softens the look". It JUST occurred to me that I should call that style "Soft Edge".

*slaps forehead*

Good heavens. Why didn't I think of that sooner?

So, Hard Edge and Soft Edge run on a continuum. You can either stay in one spot on the continuum, or slide up and down it as you wish. It feels fabulous to have this clear in my head with a proper describing term, and hopefully it makes sense to you too.