Again in the spirit of shopping my closet for a long stretch of time and appreciating what I have to work with, here’s a roundup of vests and gilets and some various combinations. I really got into wearing gilets and longer vests at the end of 2019 and want to continue this.

Observing that the black mesh Universal Standard Fog top or dress work very well layering with vests.

1-4: Plaid gilet/capelet, thrifted. I’ve previously posted it with the black sleeveless dress underneath. On New Year’s Eve I paired it with a black long-sleeved tee with blue cuffs and denim jeggings, black booties and a gold necklace.

5-8: Black open gilet from the defunct Melissa McCarthy 7 Seven line (which had some excellent pieces in the time it was around.) I especially love layering this over a Fog dress that’s about the same length.
(Spot that Sejour chambray shirt that I was trying to de-orphan over the summer. I forgot I’d worn it like this in early 2018!)

9-10: Faux-shearling Love Token vest from Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (an Angie find; also came in grey.) This vest looks good zipped up too, and is really cozy that way, but I think I prefer the drapey look of it worn open. Sometime I need to try this with a dress or monochrome top/skirt base to see how that looks.

(Edit: adding 18-19 for a different view of the vest 11 months ago.)

11-13: Open vest from Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2014. I was surprised at how long I’ve had this vest! I need to challenge myself to wear it more often. It’s not exactly orphaned but doesn’t come out as often as the others.

14-15: Black button-down short vest, Wildfang. I want to layer this UNDER more: blazers, moto or denim jackets, even gilets.

16-17: Zippered light puffer vest with faux-fur lining, an end of the year find at Costco that fits really well - it cinches up a bit at the waist which helps to tweak the fit if you’re layering underneath it.

This post has 19 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.