Several YLF Forum Members indicted an interest in implementing a PURCHASING FAST in February 2017. The Forum Members that expressed interest include Carter, Barbara Diane, Kiwigal, El Cee, Elizabeth P, RunCarla, Approprio, Joy, Bonnie, and Shedev.

We all have our own reasons and goals for participating in a purchasing fast. I spent December thinking about my reasons and what I would like to accomplish. I also devoted December preparing for the shopping fast by stocking up on basics while they were on sale.

That brings me to the reason I am participating in a purchasing fast. I came to realize that sales shopping is my achilles heel. I LOVE a good sale. I zero in on the sales rack every single time I enter a store. I go straight to the sales section of every website.

I frequently buy sales items because the "price was too good to pass up." Those sales items don't always fit into my long-range plan (or any plan for that matter). My sales purchases are frequently the first to be purged out of my wardrobe. So even though the sale price was too good to pass up, it was never a bargain for me personally.

2017 Goal => Implement a Purchasing Fast to RESET my shopping behaviors so that I learn to recognize sales items that actually work within a defined shopping plan. Yes. A sale is GREAT, but it doesn't benefit me if I don't need the item or if I have to compromise myself (wrong size, wrong color, wrong style). This can be done. Retrain, reteach my brain. Make myself realize that even if the store is giving it away, I am merely taking it home so that I can put it in the purge box. STOP it now.

A tangental shopping problem was illuminated in December => fear of missing out. I obsessed about all the sales and combining this coupon with that sale. It was overwhelming.

2017 Goal => Implement a Purchasing Fast to RESET my shopping behaviors to calm my fear of missing out. This one is harder. There are times during the year that send me into a shopping frenzy (NAS, After Christmas Sales). I can rationalize anything while in that frenzy. I am hoping a Purchasing Fast will reshape that behavior as well. IF I didn't realize I needed it prior to the sale, why do I suddenly need it at the time of the sale? Again, I think this will be harder for me control.

To prepare for a successful Purchasing Fast, I did some stocking up during the Before and After Christmas Sales. I bought the following:

One Lounging / Sleep Pant (deep discount; didn't need, wanted)
Two new Camisoles for Sleep (discount; didn't need, wanted)
Two new Sports Bras (not on sale, but sorely needed)
New Running Shoes (sale, always a good idea to buy when on sale)
Nine new pairs of Underwear (not on sale, but sorely needed)
Two new Bras (sale, needed)
Two new sets of Gloves (not on sale; didn't need, wanted)
One pair of Kut from the Kloth Jeans (sale, definitely did not need)
Three new Tee Shirts (all white) (sale, HEWI)
Silver Bracelet Cuff (sale, definitely did not need)

So what did I learn? I learned that sometimes a sale can be an excellent opportunity to buy basics that I know I will use (lounge pants, camisoles, bras, underwear, white tee shirts). All of these were well chosen and historically excellent purchases. If found on sale, so much the better.

The athletic wear (bras, running shoes, gloves) were not necessarily bought on sale. I bought them because I found them in the colors I like, in the size I need. I am extremely happy with my purchases and have been wearing them regularly.

The Kut from the Kloth Jeans and the Silver Bracelet were typical of old behaviors. I found them on sale!! Half price!! I needed to buy them because "I might never see them at that price again!!" The fact that I use the word "needed" interests me. I really did feel like I "needed" to buy them. Do they fit into a plan? No. They were impulsive purchases. They kinda defy logic.

So the February 2017 Purchasing Fast will force me to be more honest with myself. I am not committing to no purchases, I am committing to well-thought out purchases that fit within an overall plan. Athletic wear or a new bra would be permissible (if needed), a silver bracelet would not be permitted.

The next very important step is define my "plan." I use the term so loosely, like there is a fully-formed plan. There really isn't. I do know this. I need to overcome my compulsion to continue to buy bottoms while rarely buying tops. I also want to stop dressing so casually at work and return to a more structured, intentional work capsule.