I'll join and maybe include January too. I may make one exception and that is to purchase from Marshalls/Winners as I have a gift card that I don't have the first clue how to spend there.

I don't think I have sales goggles anymore and have realized I've become a lazy shopper. I always buy from the same retailers and usually online. I haven't done any online shopping since the summer so like Emily K curbing this impulse leads to almost no shopping.

I have to add that I really like your impulsive purchases!

I really, really enjoyed reading your post, Sterling! My #1 strategy is to stay away from sales. #2 be super picky about fit (gaining a bit in the tummy area the last six months makes this even easier, lol) and #3 happiness factor (does it spark joy). These (emotional) strategies are better for me than trying to stick to a list. I do have a need and want list, too, but when in the frenzie it's just not enough.

I also enjoyed reading your post, Sterling. I am also thinking about stepping away from shopping for a while, but starting now. As much as I LOVE opening my closet and (for the first time in my life) finding something appropriate to wear for almost any occasion in my "real life" (!!! Thank You YLF!!!) I am tired of shopping-the trying on and thinking about and returning and trying again. I know that I need some spring/summer items for work, and I'm already tired just thinking about it. Hoping that a break will help me refresh my enthusiasm

Really enjoyed thisread and breakdown. I usex to gave FOMO. Found myself nodding along in agreement.

Staysfit's "not moderate post" sounds like me. I am very much somebody who has "projects" that I like to devote complete attention to. "Becoming more fashionable" was one of those projects. "Bathroom Reno" would be another one (in the works). The projects are a good way to burn off a lot of my introverted energy. I find that when I refocus my energy on other non-fashion projects, my interest in shopping falls away and it's easy to stay away from the malls.

I'll tell you what doesn't work for me: a monthly budget for clothing. It caused shopping to be on my brain all the time (not good). As well, the budget prohibited me from getting expensive things because I was constantly thinking about how much I spent the month before and how I didn't want to go over budget.

Another thing that doesn't work for me: copying the stylish people on YLF. I love what other people wear but think I'm overly influenced by how they look in their clothes. I actually need to *ignore* YLF a bit.

In 2017, I'm going to shop in chunks a la Suz and Angie, so maybe two big shops a year. I want to be laser focussed during those sessions.

Then once I've finished shopping, I'm done except for socks and underwear until the next big shop, and I'll have a couple of projects to keep my brain stimulated during these times. (For me, socializing and excercising is not enough to keep me stimulated. Nor is work, haha!)

I know I went on about myself there. It helps to crystallize my thought.

I definitely think your shopping fast is a good idea. I don't think it's healthy to be wanting to buy stuff all the time. I actually think sales shopping IS healthy and totally rational, but can understand your point if you feel like you're not getting what you want out of your wardrobe or you feel like a slave to sales.

Smittie -- this is such a good post. You might want to consider copying it to Staysfit 2017 Post. It seems like such a good fit and I am sure it would interest others as well.

Smittie, I can ditto pretty much your entire response! I'll chime in more later, but this is another bookmark-worthy thread. Thanks for all the great insight and ideas!