Beautiful outfit and just proves to follow your instincts. I love it when I get a great dress in an unexpected place. Your styling is impeccable (as always)!

How happy you look says it all! I love this. Coat and dress make a fabulous combo! And the brown works. I think your most happy outfits are when you follow your instincts.

The mixed plaid with the brown is genius. I can see why that coat is a favourite. You look sensational. We should all bow down before you.

This is an amazing combination. Love the plaid mixing! I'm so glad you went with it! And gray and brown is something I actually haven't seen much - it's great!

unfrumped, I had NO idea you aspire to an Ent palette. That is AWESOME.

Sarah, one of my brothers has The Knack. This is the first time I've seen the video, but we've played the audio so many times over the years!

WHAT IS ENT?? lol - the third time this has been mentioned here....

Never heard of ENT either, Lisa. Other than Ear Nose Throat doctors, but I'm sure that's not it!

BTW thanks for popping back over onto my thread yesterday.

Hopefully someone reveals the ENT secret soon.

The two inverse window panes... Awesome. The dress... Wow, I could wear that every day!

Haha, not trying to be a secret! It's a nerdy thing... I don't want to spoil unfrumped's explanation/interpretation. I'm still new on the forum, so I'd assumed she'd already discussed it in the past.

Perfect plaid mix, and that is NOT easy to do! The whole outfit, pendant, tights, boots & all, looks straight off the runway.

I think is bold, fresh and stylish, Lisa! I don't think it is too much going on if it is so well put together, with attention to details! Love black, brown (and grey) together and love the leg lengthening shoe and hosiery choice-that calms all down!BTW, I love your new dress!

Ent, not ENT--as," race of tree-like beings" in Lord of the Rings (LOR).

Ginger, Ent-palette is kind of my shadow-palette because I love it when the mix is just right, but it's much harder to do than gray/burgundy/black. It's harder to find items that mix and match and is also easy to skew blah. I can wear some warmer colors and actually do well in many cool browns-that might be a better dark neutral for me than gray, really- -- but again, found it harder to keep capsules going over time, would create some orphans or the opposite, an entire parallel wardrobe, which was not useful.
But I like it so much that I haven't banished it, I just have to be careful be happy with maybe an outfit or 2 here and there.
It might be easier to do with more casual wear. Suz commented on the dearth of color options in "better" items and certainly that's true for business-wear.

I can imagine it would be very difficult. The colors are actually fairly close to each other, so the undertones need to be similar. Like the discussion on warm vs. cool grays. It's easier to get away with it when colors are more opposite. And browns are difficult to find consistently over the years, especially in business wear. Sounds like a shadow palette is a great idea.

I have NO idea what the two or three of you are going on about with Lord of the Rings references etc - I am the LEAST geeky movie person there is But I'm happy to provide the place for it - lol.

Ditto Lisa, ENT or Ent or ent -- I am still lost! Not a lord of the rings watcher, either, guess that explains it. Lisa and I can sit together in la la land on this one, I guess! Passing the cake and coffee...

The description of an Ent, from one of the books:

"[A] large Man-like, almost Troll-like,
figure, at least fourteen foot high, very sturdy, with a tall head, and
hardly any neck. Whether it was clad in stuff like green and grey bark,
or whether that was its hide, was difficult to say. At any rate the arms, at a short distance from the trunk, were not wrinkled, but covered with a brown smooth skin. The large feet had seven toes each. The lower part of the long face was
covered with a sweeping grey beard, bushy, almost twiggy at the roots,
thin and mossy at the ends. But at the moment the hobbits noted little
but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn,
but very penetrating."

They are very tree-like in both nature and appearance, though the movies exaggerated the appearance. To me, unfrumped's Ent-palette means lots of blended greens and grays and browns, with lots of texture and a very organic living feel. It's very far from something I can achieve, but it sounds lovely!