- A documentary highlighting Dries Van Noten’s 25-year-long career in the fashion industry is in the works.
- Sarah Jessica Parker is opening a stand-alone store which will stock the SJP Collection footwear, her little black dress collection, handbags, jewellery and other assorted accessories.
- Next month, Ralph Lauren will receive the British Fashion Council’s Outstanding Achievement award.
- J.Crew is phasing out its bridal wear collection due to lagging sales.
- Fast Retailing, the firm behind brands like Uniqlo, has opened its first facility devoted to the research and development of denim fabric in Los Angeles.
- Luxury London department store Selfridges is in the midst of developing the world’s largest handbag hall.
- Kensington Palace is staging a special exhibition in 2017 celebrating the style of Princess Diana.
- As part of a new partnership, Rent the Runway is opening its first store-within-a-store inside Neiman Marcus’ Union Square store in San Francisco. More locations will follow in 2017.
Fun Fashion Fact
“From about 1860, Pryce Jones’ Royal Welsh Warehouse, at Newtown in mid-Wales, carried on an extensive home shopping business, principally in Welsh flannel, at first conveying goods by mail coach and carrier’s cart, later by rail. It claimed to have around 40,000 customers by the end of the 1870s and around 100,000 a few years later. When Pryce Jones died in 1920 the local press credited him with having transformed his retail drapers into ‘an extensive system of shopping by post’.”