- Repetto, the French brand renowned for its ballet flats, is opening its first US store in Manhattan this Fall.
- Donna Karan’s memoir My Journey comes out in mid-October, but here are a few excerpts to whet your appetite.
- Business of Fashion is now offering free online fashion courses.
- On Sunday evening, MTV will air the first-ever Stuart Weitzman television commercial, a 30-second clip directed by Mario Testino.
- In an effort to cut its environmental impact, H&M is offering an annual $1.16m prize for new techniques to recycle clothes.
- British designer Tom Cridland has launched a crowdfunding campaign for an ethically made T-shirt that will last 30 years.
Quote for the Day
I like this down-to-earth quote by Stella McCartney on why she doesn’t subscribe to fast fashion because it also touches on the fact that budgetting is an integral part of the process as sustainable clothing often costs more:
“When I design, it’s about designing pieces that are stand-out, staple, long-term commitments in your life. They’re made beautifully in the finest places in the world and should be cared for, loved, and handed down to the next generation. So for me, it’s not about ‘wear now, buy now’ or whatever. It’s about buy[ing] whenever you can buy it, whenever works for you, and wear[ing] it forever.”