Monday night’s Met Gala with its China: Through the Looking Glass theme was the talk of the town on style sites this week. Let’s have a look at some articles that discuss the big event, from the red carpet fashion to this year’s exhibition.
- On the eve of this year’s Met Ball, Fashionista investigated whether celebrities can dress for the Chinese-themed gala without being culturally insensitive.
- From Diana Vreeland’s polka dot skirt to Sarah Jessica Parker’s frock with a tartan twist, Yahoo Style! went back in time and shares 31 of the Most Epic Met Ball Looks of All Time.
- The New York Times did an extensive roundup of what attendees wore on the red carpet this year, while PopSugar zooms in on the eye-catching accessories.
- The New York Times also published an interesting background article about how the “undisputed party of the year on the New York social schedule has become a testament to the unmistakable power of its co-host”, Anna Wintour.
- With this year’s Costume Institute exhibition exploring the relationship between Chinese fashion and Western designers, StyleCaster fills us in on eight designers who are putting China on the style map.
- Two Racked editors share their take on the exhibition, and Fashionista goes into how the exhibit “is intrinsically aware of its cultural appropriation throughout”.
Fab Links from Our Members
Diana found these time-lapse videos of high-end photo retouching for fashion magazines fascinating.
Daria would like to share this short video on 3D augmented reality virtual fitting rooms, and asks: “Is this the future?”
Diane G enjoyed The Directrice’s post on The Conversation-Stopping Necklace. She also thought that Seamwork’s post about how to develop a personal colour palette might interest those of us who enjoy colour analysis.
Marlene directs us to 6 Reasons a Capsule Wardrobe May Not Work for You.
Angie is watching Game of Thrones, and wanted to share this slideshow revealing how the actors look without their elaborate costumes.
And, in keeping with today’s theme, Angie thought that Rihanna made an ultra dramatic entrance wearing a majestic couture cape to the Met Gala.