Pre-holiday sales are everywhere, which is unusual at this time of year. Getting the biggest bang for our fashion buck is always a goal so I’m not complaining. Here are my top sale picks prior to mega, post-holiday markdowns:
- J. Crew men’s merino and lamb’s wool pullovers are marked down to $29 – $69. Cashmere is 20-40% off for both gents and ladies. Dresses , T’s, jackets, sweats and pajamas are on sale too, so be sure to look further than knitwear.
- BCBG has 30-70% off most of their party wear, separates, shoes and accessories.
- Banana Republic traditionally goes on sale the day after Christmas, but quite a few of their knits, dresses, shirts and slacks are already 40% off. None of the good menswear is on sale yet so gents will have to wait untill Boxing Day.
- Macy’s Petites are marked down 25-40%. Party attire is not on sale, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets marked down before Christmas. Coats continue to be 40% off and there are great bargains throughout the store so be sure to take a look if you can brave the crowds.
- White House Black Market is offering 30-50% off selected party attire. Tasteful sparkly tops are going for as little at $29.
- Benetton has marked all their goods down 20%.
- Ann Taylor has half of their cashmere collection on sale for $99 and coats are 25% off. Selected dresses are 60% off.
- Old Navy and the Gap continue to mark down their merchandise 40% after 6 weeks and are worth a look, especially for kids and canines.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen markdowns quite this aggressive just before Christmas. Retailers in America normally mark everything down the day after Christmas, and in Europe it’s usually the 2nd of January. It’s no doubt a consequence of the poor performance we’ve been seeing recently in apparel retail. Although November was a good month, September was very weak and October was only marginally better.
Shop as the doors open or after 8pm to avoid holiday hustle and bustle… it’s busy out there people!
A few J. Crew bargains that might find themselves under your Christmas tree.