Hollywood’s swankiest event once again glittered with glamour. The night was filled with flawless designer gowns, radiant skin, bare necklines, jewel encrusted clutches, Jimmy Choo shoes, Chopard bling and lots of style. It was nice to see variety amongst the dress styles (tired Grecian-goddess looks did not reign supreme this time around).
My favourites of the night were:
- Reese Witherspoon in Nina Ricci was a petite picture of perfection. Her form fitting strapless eggplant gown ruffled romantically into diagonal toned layers of elegance and grace. The contrast of this classic dress with her simple, super-straight modern hairstyle was genius.
- Nicole Kidman was superbly statuesque in her flaming red, catwalk couture halter gown. The neck bow on this dress was overwhelmingly delicious and wouldn’t have looked right on anyone else but Nicole Kidman. Her surreal mannequin-like presence is breathtaking and she too sported super simple straight hair (a new red carpet trend).
- Penelope Cruz in Versace was a classic Spanish beauty. Her strapless blush corset gown erupted into a train of pretty and playful tulle feathers. Her slicked back hair was timeless and complemented the drama of her dress well.
- Cate Blanchett in her metallic slate, Armani Prive off-the-shoulder sheath gown was once again the red carpet risk taker who always gets it right. Cate’s style is avant guard and I love seeing her award ceremony choices because they are so unconventionally glamorous. Anyone else would have looked like a gladiator in this dress, but Cate looked fabulous.
- Kate Winslet was beautiful in her mint green Valentino. Her asymmetrical gown draped immaculately over her curves, and she matched it up elegantly with a side parting and pulled back hair.
This international lineup proves that redheads look stunning in red, and that milky cream, satin skin is better than bronzer. That concludes this years award season. Reese Witherspoon and Cate Blanchett get my youlookfab award for being the best dressed celebrities on the red carpet this year.
Cate, Reese and Penelope on the Oscars red carpet, courtesy of E! Online.