We’ve all been caught with nothing to wear at some point or another. It’s immensely frustrating to be rushing around at the last minute trying to piece together an outfit for a fabulous bash. The simple solution is to keep a few fairly classic dressy basics in your wardrobe. That way you’ll be spared from disappointing shopping sprees, and prepared for last-minute invitations.
Dressy basics to keep on hand:
- Little cocktail dress which doesn’t need to be black.
- Beaded top that you can wear with slacks, a skirt or a suit.
- Dressy pants in either satin, crepe or velvet.
- Dressy skirt that’s preferably a-line and knee length for maximum versatility, in either taffeta or raw silk.
- Dressy shoes in mule, sandal or sling-back.
- Perfect clutch that’s small and says something about your personality.
- Dressy wrap that’s a similar fabric weight to the dress or top it will accompany.
The next time you shop and fall in love with dressy items that you think you won’t need – think again. Build a capsule of dressy items over time and don’t get caught! This can be cost effective, organized and less stressful in the long run.
Grace Kelly-inspired little black dress and fancy satin sling-backs from Bloomingdales.
Gold clutch from Nordstrom.