Spring sees the rebirth of the jacket. It’s an absolute layering essential when you’re too warm for woolies and too cold for T’s. Whether it is belted, buckled, studded, cropped, voluminous, baby-doll or a-line, one of the new jacket shapes is a new season must-have.
- Trapeze – an a-line jacket that swings out from the underarm points
- Peplum – a jacket with a peplum (an extension of the bodice of a jacket that comes below the waist line and is usually slightly flared), much like a baby doll style
- Belted – a jacket that is belted at the waist
- Boxy –a snugly fitting cropped bolero style jacket
- Leather – a cropped biker-style jacket with or without studs
- Sporty – a utility-inspired style, usually with a hood, oversized zippers and fairly light in weight
Jackets are a vital component to the flop-proof outfit and versatile in every sense. They “make a statement without trying to hard”. Find one with stretch and it will also be very comfortable.
My wardrobe wouldn’t function without jackets, partly because they pull together my look and partly because I feel the cold quickly. They even serve their purpose in warmer climates when air-conditioning keeps the indoors at arctic temperatures.
Peplum (Kenzie), sporty (L.A.M.B.) and belted (Marc Jacobs) style jackets from Nordstrom.