Can the forum handle another culotte thread? I guess the proof will be in the pudding, as Angie likes to say
There will be three pairs of (potential) culottes shown in this post. The first pair, A, is a casual denim pair I already own that is merely shown styled various ways for comparison. The second pair, B, is a dressy soft black denim high waisted pair, I plan to make into culottes by hacking existing jeans. I am going to hack them for sure, the only question is to which length, and whether to leave the hem undone or not. The third, pair, C, is a dressy tweed pair that is mid-rise at best. The question is whether to hack into culottes at all, being very long-waisted and having a long rise, and if yes, to what length. I have shown all of them with various footwear, but by far most important options are with tall boots, as those work for my work place. For B and C I have folded a lot of material under, so the hems look messy, but nothing I can do about that. Feel free to comment as little or as much you wasn't on various outfits/styling options. And excuse wrinkles etc, a lot of these items were pulled from storage.
A. WHBM slightly faded denim pair I already own. It is about 5" above the ankle bone, thus shorter than both Angie's and Suz's pairs. Regular hem, and fairly high waist. Styled with :
- Burgundy Okalas and cropped boxy burgundy top
- Burgundy high shaft booties and fitted cropped burgundy sweater
- Navy super high shaft booties and navy CM ruffled sweater, copycat of Angie's birthday blush version
- Black tall wedge boots and wrap DVF top, very 70s
- Charcoal tall lace-up boots and charcoal fitted cropped cashmere turtleneck
B. The high waist soft black denim (with pinstripe). A bit of a sheen, lovely waist detailing that you may be able to see in #16. I am hoping for similar vibe to Angie's beautiful R&B pair. Debating between two lengths, longer - about 2.5" above the ankle (same as Angie's) and shorter, about 5" about the ankle, same as pair A. Which one do you prefer? Lave the hem raw or not?
6. Longer, with pewter booties and cropped welted sweater, going for similar vibe as Angie's b-day outfit
7. Longer, with tall black boots and cropped boxy sweatshirt
8. Shorter, with tall black boots and tucked-in silk tie-neck blouse
9. Shorter, with tall charcoal boots and tucked in ribbed grey turtleneck
10. Longer, with tall charcoal boots and tucked in high-neck blouse
C. The tweed. Gorgeous soft material, blend of silk and wool, drapes like a dream. Unsure if I can make the mid-rise (#17) work for my long waist. Would also remove the front pockets and take in the waist - it is loose so they fall almost a full inch lower on my hip. Needs overall shorter lengths, so the options are longer, about 4" above the ankle, and shorter, like a skirt, 6" above the ankle. Are they culotte-worthy and at which length?
11. Longer, with black Okalas and sequined sweater
12. Longer, with tall black boots, cream turtleneck and black gilet
13. Shorter, with tall black boots and tucked in black silk blouse ( Aida's suggestion on Suz's thread)
14. Shorter, with tall cognac boots and toffee/grey semi-tucked sweater
15. Longer, with tall grey boots and wrap cream sweater, 70s style
If you have made it reading all the way here you are a trooper and I am sending you a big thank-you hug
This post has 17 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.
If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.