I LOVE that blazer! It has so many color, I could see not wearing it with the same thing twice.

My problem is that I work in a place where the dress code is much more formal that say what I'd wear on the weekends. Most capsule wardrobes I find online, I have no idea where these ladies are working! If I could get by on jeans, tees, blazers and pumps, my wardrobe would be cut by over 50%. Also, if I lived somewhere that didn't have drastic and distinct seasons. "spring/summer" clothes don't work -- because summer here is miserable and calls for an entirely different clothing set than spring. This year, I've retired every non-natural fabric for my shirts until spring (60-70 degree temps) or fall/winter (wearing under blazers).

Instead of a major purge, I incorporated about 7 linen shirts into my summer wardrobe for work, and for the most part, I've been mixing and matching them with skirts/pants every week. Part of me is still in the "OMG, I just wore this shirt last week, will someone notice!!!" phase, and the other part of me doesn't even care because it's different every time. I can see how 5 pieces picked strategically would make a huge difference to the wardrobe rotation. Especially items like that blazer that have endless possibilities, funky shoes (do we count shoes?? I could buy 3 pairs of shoes and blow my plan!) Last fall, I'd say I bought 10 or less items, but I did purge out some old ones (like pants), but pants are RARELY what I'd consider fun...

Are the 5 pieces like 'fun pieces' then?

Just wanted to add another link to the mix... same idea but a slightly different approach. Until I figured out that "basics" don't factor into the "item list" I was a bit confused... but I think we all get that now!

The blog, "the Daily Connoisseur" does a "10 Item wardrobe".
http://dailyconnoisseur.blogsp.....20Wardrobe
She's also written several books, based on the revelation she had when staying with a French family in her college years. It's fun to search back through the pieces she chooses and why. She also has a Ted Talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....e=youtu.be