I love your variety in pants in your capsule. I also like the shape of the black top that you’re pairing with the red pants. It has been interesting to think about why an item has not been added to my capsule yet. For me, some pieces may fit but don’t match the weather or seasonal vibe. Or I have a wardrobe hole, such as needing a heavier weight cardigan topper for a sleeveless top or dress. Or needing pumps instead of warmer booties.

Gorgeous red jeans Sterling! Love the colour combination. The ensemble looks AMAZING. The pearls, belt and shoes are wonderful touches.

Katerina -- I chose this outfit in honor of your black and red ensembles. It is my homage to you!!!

Thank you, Toban. Perhaps that is it. I think the vibe of the red, a red you can see from outer space, felt all wrong for my mood in January. I wore a lot of dark, moody colors in January. Today I see a light at the end of the broken foot tunnel and I am hopeful. Thus, the red.

Style Fan -- So nice to hear from you. As always, you provide a foundation of wisdom. So this weight loss thing. I only lost 14 pounds. Not one single person in real life noticed or commented. I see my medical doctor in late February. She better notice.

My clothes DO fit differently, especially pants and belts. My feet are oddly smaller. I am actually wondering if I am still constrained to buying wide-width shoes anymore!!! If my hands have changed, I can't say because I never wear rings.

Thank you, MaineLady. Pants are my jam! I love shopping for them. I literally build every single outfit in life by first selecting the pants. Then I build out from there.

Sterling- sorry to be late commenting. I was a little under the weather yesterday but much better today. I am so glad my posts on fit were helpful to you. Welcome to the "prefers a looser fit but does not want to look sloppy" club Also major congrats on the weight loss!

Loose but not sloppy fit seems to be an issue for several of us. Do you think it applies to enough forum members that it warrants a thread of it's own? Toban has posted a lot of helpful information and I have learned from her posts. I bet Angie would have a lot of helpful input. I have a few more thoughts.

Thanks to those who posted links, I will read through them later today.

Sterling, 14lbs weight loss is a lot to celebrate. Your comment on no one noticing resonated with me and I thought sharing my experience about others reactions/non-reactions might help.

First, people you see day to day will not notice. At all. And if they do, they won't comment. It is politically incorrect (and there are sad reasons for losing weight, like illness), so instead they'll comment on your outfit or your hair cut, but never your weight. From my experience, I had to bring up the topic before anyone would admit they noticed.

Second, it took a big weight change, probably 10% of body weight and two sizes for anyone to admit to noticing, or for those I didn't see every day to be caught taking a second look. I remember an individual who I hadn't seen in a few months run into me after I'd lost 40lbs who actually had a noticeable 'stop in her tracks', but I think she was more sensitive to it because she also has struggled with her weight in the past.

Third, new well fitting clothes that I bought when I reached a new size always got commented on, but not in reflection of weight loss in particular. I could guarantee compliments on new pairs of jeans, a skirt, new top, etc... No one would notice in my existing clothes.

Fourth, I shared my goals with my work group, so they provided the regular reassurances and support and notice that I needed. It took me initiating conversations about my goal and my willingness to discuss them to start these conversations (see first point above). Now they are my biggest cheerleaders and I just shared pictures I've taken from April through yesterday demonstrating my weight loss in gym clothes. The pictures aren't flattering and I really needed to trust my colleagues to be willing to share them. But sharing them was well received.

In summary, 14 lbs is a lot to celebrate, external feedback and support will come if you share your progress and goals, and most people are truly oblivious.

Sterling 14 pounds is something to celebrate. As you lose more weight the sizes will change faster. Now just a couple of pounds on or off makes a big difference in fit.
How did I miss that there were red Kuts!? They usually fit well and I want a pair, at this point, even if they are not tomato red. Great outfit

Thank you, Toban. Your posts have sustained me throughout January. And by that I mean, you have been so supportive, helpful, and instructional. More importantly, you allowed me to talk about things other than my BF's broken foot and the upheaval in my life. The YLF Challenge became my personal "place" to think about "non-daily" stresses and stressors. It might have saved my sanity.

Lynn -- You never comment late. Every single one of your posts is a welcome "gem." I am grateful to you for your kindness and expertise in fit. I DO believe we need a standalone post on "loose but not sloppy fit." I would like to start one after the 30 x 30 Challenge because I can't seem to focus on multiple subjects right now. I want to really devote myself to understanding the information posted in a "loose but not sloppy fit" thread. Let me start one on January 31st (unless you would like to take the lead).

Joy -- YOU WOULD ROCK RED JEANS!! They are a STATEMENT. They scream JOY to the WORLD. They have less stretch than any of my other Kut from the Kloths so they fit "tighter." I found mine on eBay in 2017.

I am doing this weight loss thing at the instruction of my doctor. My next doctor appointment is February 27th. That is when I jump on the scale FOR HER (and me, of course). But really, HER.

DAY 27: DISASTER.

I had an 8:00 am meeting. I usually wake up about 6:00 am and have a restful, contemplative morning to set the mood for the entire rest of the day.

Today I woke up 19 minutes before 8:00 am. Sheer panic set in. I couldn't think. I managed to wash my face and brush my teeth. I completely forgot to brush my hair (I did some things with my fingers en route). I don't think it helped. It still looked like I had just gotten out of bed.

My brain could not seem to grasp the concept of clothing ... other than I had to wear clothing and they should match. I started frantically grabbing at things. I managed to get out the door in black slacks and navy sleeveless top (neither are part off my 30 x 30). I had deodorant marks along both sides of the top. But at least I was wearing deodorant, right?

I made it to the meeting at 7:58 am. I had to speak. I was acutely aware of the fact that my hair was not brushed, I wasn't wearing moisturizer or lipstick, deodorant stains, YELLOW SHOES (!). Yellow shoes? I can't even ......

There will be no pictures!!

I hadn't had time to provide a summation of my 30 x 30 Challenge.

Here it is. This doesn't seem like a lot of clothing, but six items were experimented with and then removed from the Challenge for one reason or another. Lounge clothes were not counted in the Challenge and evidently I spent a lot of time (particularly weekends and three "snow days") in lounge clothes!!!!!

Bottoms (7; 1 retired due to SIZING)
Faded Glory Ponte Pants in Grey
Kut from the Kloth 'Diana' Ponte Pants in Black
Eileen Fisher Slim Ponte Pant in Charcoal
Banana Republic Ryan-Fit Pinstripe Slim Straight Pant in Navy
KUT 'Diana' Skinny Ponte in Brown Plaid
Kut 'Diana' Skinny Ankle Jeans in Red
Ralph Lauren Stretch Cotton Skinny Pant in Black

Tops (7; 4 donated for a multitude of reasons)
Caslon Long Sleeve Tee Shirt in Navy
Gap Short Sleeved Tee Shirt in White
Old Navy Boyfriend Velvet Top in Medium Blue
Eileen Fisher Short Sleeved Silk Top in Magenta
Brooks Brothers Tailored Fit White Dress Shirt in White
Gap Luxlight V-Neck sweater in True Black
Eileen Fisher Viscose Sleeveless Tank top in Midnight

Toppers (4; 1 donated because I never loved it in the first place)
Old Navy Cardigan in Navy
Old Navy Cardigan in Off-white
Old Navy Cardigan in Medium Grey
Gap Cotton Cashmere Shawl Cardigan

Evaluated as part of the Challenge and either DONATED or RETIRED. I say “Retired” because there is a part of me that wasn’t ready to part this these jeans.

--. Grey Long Line Cardigan in Mottled Grey (DONATED)
--. Kut from the Kloth Jeans in Beautitude (RETIRED)
--. Nordic Track Half Zip Fleece Top (DONATED)
--. Landsend Short Sleeved Knit Top in Fresh Blue (DONATED)
--. Long Sleeve V-Neck Cotton Sweater in Grey (DONATED)
--. Gap Plaid Boyfriend Shirt in Black and Blue Plaid (DONATED)

Oh no, Sterling! That sounds tough. I am also very much a get up early and have a slow, restful morning type, so I understand feeling discombobulated when something goes wrong with that routine!

I am sure you felt worse than you looked to the outside world but I know how feeling disheveled can sap one’s confidence.

Going forward, how about working out three “fast fallback outfits” and writing the components down on a “cheat sheet” tucked into your dresser drawer? That way if you are stressed and hurried you don’t have to do the mental work to remember them. And if you work out several such outfits it seems likely that the components of at least one would always be clean. Since you don’t mind repeating favorite outfits/items I think this strategy could work well for you.

Great suggestion, Sarah. I do have FFBOs. Yet my brain could not seem to wrap itself around "what they were!" I had my whole 30 x 30 Challenge just sitting there in plain sight. I literally could have put on what I wore yesterday. I actually had to move the red jeans to claw through my closet for something to wear!!!

You are right though. Had I written the FFBOs down (or better yet, pictures!!!), I might have been able to put together something better in less of a panic.

Ugh. Sorry to hear about your disastrous day. I like Sarah’s solution of FFBO’s. I need to try them on in advance as what works in theory doesn’t always work in practice.

I’m also sorry to hear that your boyfriend’s broken foot has created such upheaval and glad to hear that the 30x30 challenge has been a good distraction. You’ve done a wonderful job of initiating and supporting the challenge throughout. I am glad my ruminations have been helpful to you. They have been cathartic to me, to put down in words things that I have worked through or am working through. The challenge has taken me from being primarily a lurker to an active participant and I’ve gained a lot of personal insight from it. And I have felt supported by this community throughout.

Sterling, your honesty made me laugh out loud! No casting the first stone, though, because I (and, I'm sure, everyone else) have been there before!

Oh Sterling, what a day you have had! I have been there before, only never being ready in clothes (any clothes) and in a meeting in 17 minutes, respect

FFBOs and a cheat note is a great idea.

Ugh, I know this feeling. I absolutely need contemplative time in the morning -- find oversleeping very stressful. I second the idea of jotting down some FFBOs and keeping it in the closet/on the dresser as a reminder. But hey, you survived and lived to tell the tale! Some day you'll look back on it and just laugh, or at the very least sigh.

Laughing with Katerina, Emily, and LaP. It was an amazing morning. Everything worked out for the absolute best and the group of people I was meeting with are indeed fabulous.

Toban -- I am so happy that you joined the Challenge and have become an active participant on the Forum. I hope you only continue to gain insight and best internet friends (BIFs).

Thanks for your comment about my posts. That is so nice of you. Why don't you start the topic about "loose but not sloppy fit " when you feel ready to address it. You have a lot on your plate right now- it's hard being a caretaker to someone else! And on top of that you have been so great about supporting everyone doing the 30x30 challenge. Kudos to you.

OMG- Your story about yesterday I can feel your panic in your post. I am glad it all worked out in the end but sorry that it stressed you out. It reminded me of the time I woke up late, I think I can about 15 min to get ready. I rushed around and managed to get to the office on time. So I am halfway through my morning when when of my patients, about 3-4 year old, points to one shoe and says "black" then points to the other and says "blue". Yes, I had on 1 black shoe and 1 navy shoe. They were the exact same shoe that I bought in 2 colors because they were so comfortable. So, I went through the rest of the day trying to hide my feet. I was laughing about at end of day with a couple of colleagues and they hadn't even noticed. Guess you had to be at a lower level to see the difference. So, if you have the same shoe in different colors be sure to double check when you put them on

Oh, I am sorry Sterling. But I think our colleagues don’t notice our appearance as much as we do. And if they did notice that you seemed a little flustered, I am sure that they would cut you some slack. Maybe your body was telling you you need to get some more sleep. The way you have been all over this challenge - it’s legendary stuff. And with everything else you have going on, it’s no wonder that you are tired.

The red pants do look awesome. It’s good to have some FFBOs planned. Even better if they feature items that really make you feel good.

Can you at least post a picture of the yellow shoes? My imagination is running wild.

I do not like to wake up early, so I stay in bed until the last possible moment no matter what time I need to be out the door. This would be why you have yet to see me wear makeup and I wear my hear in a bun for work every day.

In order to participate in this challenge and actually put some effort into what I wear to work each day, I plan all of my outfits over the weekend for the week ahead. I eat the exact same breakfast every day and pack my lunch the night before. No thought required in the morning.

Oh, Sterling. I am glad that your day turned out well. I am slow in the morning and need routine. As much as possible I try to lay everything out the night before or I sells never bed ready for early events. Lynn's shoe story has happened to me when I had the same loafers in both black and navy. I got rid of them soon after the incident.

I just happened to read about your crazy morning. I applaud you and am in awe that you arrived on time. I believe I have recurring nightmares about forgetting to get ready in time; in my dreams I do not think I ever meet the mark. Sometimes I wake up before being too traumatized.

I also like looser fits than some. There is a kind of aspirational fit that is loose in exactly the right places and then fitted in exactly right places, so, “loose” is kind of a misnomer. I am thinking that even “ tight fit” people also have aspirational fits but insist on certain areas fitting snugly and if others parts are TOO tight, that’s just the breaks. As a looser fit person then I may have some parts too loose. Theoretically it would be more possible to tailor down, but not always easy or affordable.
So a goal is to be more picky about total fit and not buy something that only fits partway if i won’t or can’t have it tailored.
Fortunately this approach would have the effect of reducing my acquisitions.

Lynn -- I'll start that thread as soon as possible after the 30 x 30 challenge.

Tanstaafl -- this is the same brand and silhouette of the shoe (not the exact shoe). The real color is more burnished yellow / gold. I think Emily recommended them in navy last year. I tried them and found they fit my feet perfectly. I bought them in navy, cardinal red, and a yellow/gold color. The yellow/gold color are meant to coordinate with other items of yellow in an outfit during the summer months. It works great in the summer. They were the first shoes I saw on Saturday morning. I gave it no more thought than that.

Oh my goodness Sterling, I'm sorry that your day started so horribly, but I have to admit I did laugh when I read your story, when I got to the yellow shoe part. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Day 28: Faded Glory Ponte Pants in Grey and Gap Long Sleeve Modal Tee Shirt in White. BF and I ran errands and I cooked all afternoon.

Day 28 sounds perfect. Grey and white look so fresh together.
BF's foot must be better?

Joy -- We are going to the doctor tomorrow afternoon. The doctor will assess his recovery and make recommendations. My BF is both hopeful and scared. He is not the most compliant person in the world and may have actually hindered his own recovery.

Grey and white were perfect for the day. I cooked all afternoon long and didn't get a stain on me! I am channeling Angie.

DAY 29: Same exact outfit as Day 25. Exact repeat.

Banana Republic Ryan-Fit Pinstripe Slim Straight Pant in Navy combined with Old Navy Cardigan in Cream.

Because a few of us have been wearing cardigans to meetings/conferences, they have caught on and other woman are wearing them now as well. They told me they "liked the look and we were so much more approachable." YAY.

Good for you, spreading the cardigan love! I certainly have many that I consider professional. Well, professional enough for my workplace. As you've probably noticed

Good luck to BF and his appointment tomorrow!

Thank you, Elizabeth.

Hi Sterling, the yellow shoes are very pretty and look so comfortable - real winners. Great that you have the model in several colours. Your Sunday grey and white outfit sound lovely... I am impressed by you cooking the whole afternoon without any stains! Mission impossible for me. Happy to hear about your success with the cardigans, I bet it feels great. Yay to you!