I’m not one for big new years efforts, but I have some loose things I’m aiming for this year in the style/wardrobe aspect of my life:

- adopting an actual clothing budget this year. Hubs is officially retiring (selling his business) this year and we are dialing back the spending on things other than home improvement and travel, which we already have budgeted for. It won’t be any sort of hardship — just a mindfulness practice. We’ve never had any sort of budget for this stuff before and just spent when we felt like it, so it will be an adjustment but one we are actually excited and motivated by. For me, this just means being that much more thoughtful and deliberate about what I add to my wardrobe. I must love it and it must be useful!

- some thoughtful closet editing. I have lots of clothes — more than I can wear in a reasonable amount of time. I don’t want to get rid of things I like and can wear in a way that feels good to me, but I’m getting more real about what is truly useful to me at this stage of my life. I bought some things pre-Covid that have turned out to be not useful in the least, as it seems the world has become more casual. I need to let some of those things go.

- continue to enjoy my abundant wardrobe and remix things in ways that feel right to me now. The breadth of my closet means that I have options for nearly any occasion or need. I will continue to gradually evolve my style as it feels right to me. Lately I’m craving more simplicity, fewer prints and patterns, more ease in fits, lower heels and more walkable footwear. I’m also trying not to add more black (especially in tops and toppers) unless it is truly unique or useful, or a nice texture that helps lighten the potentially heavy, flat darkness that black can have with my coloring. I’m thinking of adding some versatile pieces in charcoal or other shades of grey as an alternative.

I have two very significant (budget-wise) potential items I’m considering. I’ve had them on my radar for weeks but am being slow to act because they are investments. One is a charcoal sweater I posted about elsewhere (it hasn’t gone on sale, so I suspect I’d have to accept full price for it). The second is a long puffer from Canada Goose that I keep thinking about. I tried it on in NY and love the style. It would replace my slowly-deteriorating workhorse long black puffer that I loved but is starting to look a bit worse for the wear. It’s not easy to find a long puffer that is truly lightweight and looks more stylish and not strictly utilitarian. I’m not 100% sure about the green although I like the color, and I wear neutral pants so much it probably wouldn’t be an issue in terms of clashing or going with my outfits. I’d probably hesitate less if it were a silvery grey, but that’s not available (just black or white, and I know I don’t want a long white coat — I’m not that good at keeping it clean!). I love love love the long vent zips on the side — they allow for ease in the fit and also have a bit of a cool vibe that sets the style apart from most puffers.

I welcome your thoughts or suggestions! This is mostly for my own use, setting this down in writing to solidify the intentions. But I always enjoy the input of the forum.

This post has 4 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.