I finally got a chance to sit down and finish my year review and planning process, which I owe in large part to Helena. I am so grateful for your book recommendation all those years ago, Helena! I've adapted the process and added a few elements — like the fashion review (thanks, Angie!) and the word and colour (thanks, Laura & Angie!). All in all, it takes me quite a while but is always worth it.

This year, my word is expand -- with its connotations of growth, unfurling, opening, elaboration, and even relaxation. And my colour—surprise! — is chartreuse.

Chartreuse is not a colour in my wheelhouse! It's pretty close to Angie's sour apple green. It's definitely not a colour I can wear in abundance near my face. In fact, it's probably one of my least flattering colours.

But I've been enjoying it lately, even craving it!

I have a few items that include bits of chartreuse in a pattern and I adore them. It works brilliantly with blues, lilacs/ lavenders, white, silver, and grey. And according to Adobe, "It was especially popular in the 1920s, since it was viewed as bold, vibrant, and rebellious." (Sounds like garçon to me!) And: "It represents life, growth, and vitality.” Which seems to me to work with my word, "expand."

Style Goals

What I won't be expanding is the size of my closet. I counted and I have 145 items in my 4-season closet, including coats and footwear, but not including gear, PJ's, basics, bags, or stuff like gloves/ hats, jewellery.

I think I could stand to edit a bit more, but not a lot. Traditionally, I have felt happiest with a wardrobe between 120 and 150 items. Any more and I get overwhelmed and don't wear all my clothes. Whereas if I go a lot smaller than 120, I am missing out on key items I may seldom wear, but nevertheless need for some of my less frequent but still important occasions.

I have done a major refresh this year, am very happy with my closet, and have zero need of anything new over the next few months. So, for 2024, I will

1. Continue my substantial edit — re-evaluating every piece in turn. (I think there are still a few items I could stand to let go of.)

2. Buy second-hand first, except undies and footwear. I will re-evaluate this goal in 6 months.

3. Look for chartreuse in patterns and accessories. And maybe even buy new, for that.

This post has 2 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.