My notes on 2023. It was a year of discovery. It was a year of hardship. It was a year of goodness and joy and healing. The kitchen and living room might be done by spring 2024, the bathroom by summer 2024. Clothing-wise, it was mostly the year of sack dresses and sweats as I worked through healing. However, I realize while I like having a sack dress for those days I need or want it, I feel a bit depressed wearing nothing but those kinds of clothes every single day. I miss fun, beautiful, and expressive clothing. So I am hoping to add more joy in 2024. 

2024 plans. I will do a separate post on my purchase, knitting, and sewing plans. It's lengthy. 

Happiest purchase of 2023 
My practical-but-not-boring persimmon orange winter coat.

Happiest knits of 2023
Burnt orange cardigan by Rebeccah Taylor/Vogue Knits. It still needs the pockets sewn on. And also, I need a good styled photo of it. You get the idea of it, hopefully. Love the comfy fit and 70s-yet-modern style. It feels like something one would buy at Anthropologie or long-gone Ruche. And HURRAY for Lion Brand Pound of Love acrylic yarn! It made it possible to knit such a yarn hog of project on a budget.

Range Shawl by Andrea Mowry. Originally, the yarn was purchased "used/destashed" from other knitters to make mitts. Scrapped mitts idea and bought another two skeins of yarn to make the shawl. I LOVE IT! Yarn is Berroco Ultra Alpaca. It is so soft, warm, and cozy. I've worn it almost nonstop this fall and winter. 

Happiest discovery  2023.
 Spending money to work with a color analyst and style consultant for some style therapy and a small refresh. You can see my boards here and here. She helped me see I need and love juxtaposition. I've always innately kind of done this. But it was illuminating and helpful to actually see it and have it pointed out. For instance, I like pairing cozy sweaters with very glamorous accessories, shoes, etc. It makes my world go around. Because of my time with her, I chopped my hair off. I also bought a lot of costume jewelry earrings to experiment with styles and juxtapose with things. The earrings really allowed me to play and hone my style. I actually prefer them to fine jewelry at this point-- save my vintage and antique special pieces. It's affordable. (Mostly...Places like Nordstrom's have been caught selling cheap costume jewelry at considerable mark-up. Also bought pairs on Postmark I later saw on Temu... ahem.) And well, I like the variety and affordability. I know fast fashion has ruined things. But I find there is a place for it. I attached photo examples of just a few of my new pairs. 

Biggest Surprise of 2023

Finding tons of dark autumn orange. Rather it found me? I have been wanting more orange. Once I found the burnt orange for my cardigan, then it was a dress in the same color. Then two or three blouses. And then... my new winter persimmon coat. It's such an odd, delightful, and wonderful thing. 

Biggest Change of 2023
 My hair. See photo 9. I chopped off 6 inches and got a layered, inverted/French bob with shingled back. It's kind of 2002? And yet... it feels very fresh. Kind of 1930s sexy? I really love my haircut. It was difficult to let go of my long hair as much was attached to it emotionally and experientially. But my new haircut fits my life and current hair now. It feels better. And it's easier for my season of life. My hope and prayer is as I heal, my hair fills in again enough to make longer hair possible. But my hair is good now. 

This post has 9 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.