When I first contemplated writing something up I thought there wasn't much point since I (thought I) didn't buy "much" last year and was thinking of doing a No Buy year for 2022 - but once I started the introspection, I started making some connections and realized the value of a little bit of analysis in setting my 2022 goals. Which upon writing it out seems like pretty basic stuff This won't be the most interesting post for others to read, so thanks again for bearing with me while I work out my ideas here. Best of luck to all of us on our 2022 goals!

The Bad: I didn't shop a ton last year (very subjective assessment...), but still managed to make some clear mistakes due to certain patterns which I hope to avoid this year:
- missing the return window for some online orders
- hoping something will somehow magically fit better in the future

The OK:
- some impulse purchases online due to IG ads or store mailing lists - a Coach purse, a pretty summer kimono wrap, NB sneakers - these items are nice but unnecessary duplications which realistically I just didn't have need or space for. I need to slow down on "collecting" pretty items I don't actually need. 

The Good:
- I would say my most successful purchases were due to an outfit I workshopped here on ylf: 
 https://youlookfab.com/welookf.....inspo-shot
- I finally "bit the bullet" on my interest in sustainable/Canadian-made and ordered some items from Canadian brands of interest Wear Franc and Power of My People. Although none of the items were right for me, I found the shipping and returns costs and processes more than reasonable. I also learned that items do go out of stock (particularly in trendy colours) so it doesn't really pay to take my time ordering. The overall lesson is that there is no good reason for me to keep buying online from The Gap, etc, instead of trying these brands.

Looking at my 2021 experience, rather than doing a blanket No Buy or generic "less shopping" goal, I've realized it's probably more realistic and helpful to develop a shopping list and some guidelines.

Goals:
Low shop year
Thoughtful shop year
Focus on quality and fit

Avoid impulse shopping
Shop from my list

Guidelines to keep having fun while supporting my goals:
Check out local businesses on foot & try things on in store
Continue to check out and follow small Canadian made and sustainable brands online
Spend the local store gift certificate I already have

If feeling the urge to buy something from an ad, shop from my list instead. Eg: indulge in the pretty Dora Nola scarf I don't need, vs. impulse buying the cute sneakers or random bag on sale that I also don't need.

Rules:
No curbside pickup from local business without trying on (it's about fit!)
No online orders from Old Navy/The Gap/BR
No more transitional shoes including sneakers
No more summer kimono/wrap type garments
No more bags other than the summer tote on my list