I don't believe I set any clothing-related goals for 2021, but I did post about my Style Priorities shifting due to the Protests/ COVID lockdown: https://youlookfab.com/welookf.....ts-induced

-----
(Here's a short summary of the below)

2021 HITS & MISSES:
HITS/ 2021 Successes:
Breathable/ comfy fabrics, Practical/ easy to move in/ high-rise silhouettes, Nude bras, secondhand thrifting (if discerning)
MISSES/ 2021 lesson learnt:
Too pale neutrals, No more online custom orders, Less black, Fussy thrifted silk pussybow blouses
GOALS/ for 2022 future:
More deep orange & dark chocolate brown in natural fibres/ machine washable silk, high-rise trousers, UK black capsule wardrobe, To virtually upload my entire closet into YLF Finds (lol...)

BACKGROUND:
Though we are now finally back to teaching face-to-face this term (HK isn't under lockdown now), I've gone part-time whilst finishing my MA. This means adjusting to a more casual, still WFH-dominant lifestyle until (at least) Autumn 2022.
I also officially moved into a new flat last month. Whilst I no longer have to deal with a cavernous hallway closet (thankfully!), I now have a smaller wardrobe instead. This means I'm currently in the process of downsizing my clothing cupboard (we moved quickly, so no time before that) & only having the space to keep what I absolutely *love* going forward.

-----

(Longer explanation incoming - you've been warned!)

2021 GOALS:

1) FABRIC: I'd say I managed to fulfill the main criteria of breathable, comfy, easy to move in this year - all my tops are made from either natural fibres (cotton/ silk/ non-itchy merino wool) or from test-driven viscose/ rayon. All my bottoms are either at the new PPP or will be hemmed to such (once I find my sewing kit ) I'm intrigued by the current pleather trend (since it seems more breathable than I remember lol) & also by tencel/ modal/ lyocell.
I'm generally doing better with machine washable items, except I did thrift some silk pussybow blouses - I bought them thinking they would be great for work & my Romantic/ Classic Kibbe Type, but find them too fussy & dressy even for teaching lol. I've donated all but the most well-fitting ones for interviews or Zoom.
As for opaque, finally finding bras & underwear in actually nude *to me* colours has been a game changer! Too long have I suffered with 'nude' bras are actually glowing headlights under my tops, lol! This has opened up a world of slightly sheer but lightweight & long sleeved tops, suitable for my subtropical climate.

2) SILHOUETTE: High-rise everything! I'm still keeping some tunic dresses & longer cardigans (just in case I desire more coverage with trousers), but cropped tops & high-waisted maxi skirts are finally in abundance now, so I'm going to keep milking this trend whilst I (& my waist lol) still can. Am in the process of replacing all mid-rise trousers with higher waisted ones too. My HEWI though is still a cream cropped jumper in a natural fibre, that hits right at my natural waist & isn't too tight (boatneck & balloon sleeves?)

3) COLOUR: I'm doing better with saturation but I also need a tighter palette. The forum has been helpful in figuring out that, whilst I enjoy a closet rainbow, it needs to be a very specific rainbow to keep me happy. In other words, I'm looking for 'deep/ dark/ rich/ warm' shades - I do need *some* light neutrals for contrast though (warm yellow cream cotton is my HEWI). I thrifted a *rainbow* of silk pussybow blouses but they're too fussy for my lifestyle (see 'fabric' above). So I've switched to cotton cropped cardigans & long sleeved tops instead. Currently working on finding them in orange & chocolate brown colourways too - please let me know if you see any!

+

2022 GOALS:
1) I had a lot of luck thrifting & buying secondhand off Etsy (discovered many local sellers!), so will continue with that - hopefully even in-person again now that I have the time! But I will be more discerning than before - many of the aforementioned silk pussybow blouses didn't quite fit right, or were dry clean only, or the colour was 'almost' right (like the pale orange one). No more room for this - either I love it or leave it!

2) I will no longer be buying custom items online. It's frustrating when you can't find what you want in B&M shops, but even moreso when you pay for your HEWI over the internet only for it to arrive as a WI lol! I had a leather jacket made that's far too boxy (my husband said I look like Grace Jones, which could work if only I had the frame for that lol...) & a gold peplum top that's stiff & scratchy (& only half lined...) Given that fabric is important to me, I don't think I can risk not seeing or touching it until after payment (unless I come across an exceptionally proactive seller with enough photos, measurements & communication to make me feel comfortable asking them to make something *completely new* sight unseen - but that's rare)

3) I experimented with a black capsule wardrobe this year but found, whilst I *can* wear it, I need texture, shine & contrast to *really* make it work. I will cull any dull black pieces then keep some key ones in preparation for my UK wardrobe instead (e.g. my dark green suit is OK for teaching interviews, but I may need a black one for dressy eveningwear & western funeral(s).) I've had a few items packed in a suitcase for the past 2 years, thinking I'd be able to bring them home & leave them there for future use. Fingers crossed I get to go home with my black capsule wardrobe in 2022 instead!

-----

That's all from me - happy holidays, everyone! Now to spend the rest of mine decluttering my closet & catching up on my master's degree - fun times indeed

This post has 1 photo. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.