This is a great idea! I’m pretty good about this; I have a few different hand lotions going, but I use them often enough that they do get used up. A couple years ago I realized I had amassed quite a stock
of those little free tubes of toothpaste from the dentist; I’ve made a concerted effort to use them and just last week pulled out the last one. It was satisfying to have to actually write “toothpaste” on the grocery list!

I'm pretty good at using things up my toiletries/ only buying what I need, but my mother in her later years acquired a lot of unwanted lotions and bath products as gifts and she ended up donating to a women's shelter, where they were much appreciated.

I am doing ok with makeup, lotions and other toiletries - I usually buy new product when my current is almost running out, so don’t have multiples. But hair products are my weakness. I have a thin and limp hair and I always buy latest product that promises a volume and other miracles. I have foams, creams, serums, powders, sprays, oils - some of them I like better than others, some I don’t like at all - but I feel guilty and keep them all in hope I will use them up someday. But many have been there for years, and honestly I will probably feel better just to toss them.

This reminded me of a colleague that brought almost empty bottle of Windex to his retirement farewell party. He told us that he bought it when he started working here, and his wife asked him why. He said it is to clean his glasses, and she teased him that it will last him until retirement. And it did.

I'm good with this type of thing!

I'm not big into or drawn to make-up, toiletries, perfumes and hair products so I don't buy a lot if it. Although I use all of it daily, I am quite minimalist about it. Same with meds in the medicine cupboard. I have what we use.... plus travel options ready to go for WHEN WE TRAVEL AGAIN ....... And a spare in the cupboard.

Lesson learned already: buy sample sizes!
I used some of the green eyeshadow, and swear that itsy bit left is going to last at least 5-10 days.
Plus I remembered I have a bunch of BC19 blush samples. I gave mom the ones that were too light for me, but there are still probably 15 in there. Thought they'd work for travel. Eventually masks won't be a thing...and travel will

I'm right there with you. I've been hoarding Bath & Body Works products for around a year now and it is ridiculous. I've given away whole sets of that stuff and STILL I have more than I could reasonably expect to use in three lifetimes. Recently, I thought I was running low on body wash so I bought some new flavors and when I went to put them away I organized the cabinet that stuff lives in and oops, turns out I didn't need body wash at all. I needed hair conditioner.
I also have more hair dye than any girl needs at one time.
Cleaning products. I live in an RV, how many cleaning products do I actually need? A fraction of what I have.
Yarn.
Toilet paper & paper towels? I went to a warehouse club and stocked up back when there was very little toilet paper to be found anywhere. I spend so much time at work that I still have an insane stash of toilet paper and paper towels.

I also have a hoard of makeup that I'm forcing myself to use. At least most of my makeup follows a theme: black eyeliner, black mascara, and warm eyeshadows that make my blue eyes pop like crazy, so I'm not having to force myself to use colors that I'm not crazy about.

My worst issue is buying lipstick - 2021 will have to be the year of using up all those tubes of magic colour!

Just came across this & thought it might be useful. Despite the word “sample” in the title, it also talks about full-sized, mostly empty containers. https://www.realsimple.com/hom.....ty-samples

Ha cindysmith It's definitely not just makeup and lotion here either!
Yep Bijou- those poor neglected lipsticks!
Thanks for the link FI! Decided that a shea hair product was too heavy on my hair so it got used on my ashy elbows instead.

Old and unwanted shampoo is good for cleaning bathroom fixtures. Soap is soap. I also wash delicates in it and hair brushes.

Cosmetic brushes too Joy!

Shea butter is one of my faves! I put it on my hands and smooth over flyaway hair very lightly. Also use it for hands, lips, nose, knees, elbows, anyplace that’s grouchy about shaving... That and Dr Bronner’s are the two most versatile products I know.

Yep- I was introduced to it as a hand healer after drumming with the African Ballet at a festival Too heavy for my scrawny hair, but good for thick wavy hair. Love Dr. Bronners too! A paste of it + baking soda is good for scrubbing, and safe around certain pets that like to play in the tub!

Seriously, eyeshadow should come in much tinier pans, the full-size ones last soooooo long! I am wearing very little makeup these days because of the masks. I think it’s gross when makeup rubs onto the inside and leaves marks but my husband says it looks sexy to see the makeup on one of my discarded masks. ????? That is just weird right????

I think what husbands find sexy is just beyond us sometimes.
I agree re smaller containers being good. I spent a few years trying to buy the mini nail polish bottles because it was too difficult to use up the big ones. Maybelline used to do nice little bottles. Now I hardly wear any.

it looks sexy to see the makeup on one of my discarded masks. ?????
And lipstick on the edge of a glass too, right? Lol

I love this challenge! I tried something similar for 2020 and am still working through hair products. I find it really difficult to throw things away before they are used up - sometimes it works well as facial moisturizers that didn't or don't agree with my sensitive face skin have been used on my body. Other times, I end up with grimy make up in my bag that has no other use and nowhere to go.

That is weird Jessikams! DH response "there's worse fetishes." As far as nailpolish, I tend to stick to just 1- though it looks like my color got discontinued
Yes for using up hair products too. It's all fair game!

I took inventory and decided to pause new make up purchases until July, and then see what I really need. Mascara and lipstick will likely be on the list, but that may be all. I don’t think of myself as a big beauty consumer but somehow ended up with what looks like it may be a lifetime supply of blushes, highlighting products and eyeshadow.

Those free tooth brushes and toothpaste from the dentist... a lady at our church wants them for women inmates at the County Jail. They are possible rewards if they attend classes or a part of a packet that is special Holiday treat. She also wants tea bags and any lotions or hair products, so I contribute those things after filling the guest bathroom with sample sizes..
Other places like care packages to the deployed armed forces can use those items.. So can food kitchens as food stamps do not pay for personal hygiene or cleaning products. They always need feminine hygiene products And diapers. The working poor need disposable diapers to be able to use day care.

Joy, it is devatstating to hear that inmates are dehumanized to the point that a disposable toothbrush and dab of toothpaste are a treat.

I like this idea, suntiger! think it would take me the rest of my life to get through all the eyeshadows, though. Maybe not. But a good portion of it, anyway, maybe five years at least. Part of the problem is that I tend to buy the combos, and there is inevitably at least one color that I don't use.
Bijou, I'm with you on the lipsticks. And kkards, I have a similar problem with not being able to work through the things I don't like. I think there are a lot of items I could just discard.

I heard when you're in jail you can buy things- like underwear and such. Sad they wouldn't give toothbrushes cause dental health is tied to heart health.

I feel great I finished off two large bottles of hair conditioner today. The empties were washed out and now in the recycle bin.

Yay Joy! I "panned" that green eyeshadow sample today. I like green but that one was too cool toned and competed with my eye color-will not replace.

This post has 1 photo. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.

I saw an idea recently for crushing powdered eye shadow, mixing it with Vaseline and using that for temporary hair color, streaks or more. It sounds like a greasy nightmare to me. I have not bought eye shadow but have some free bees. I will probably give them to a niece or to DDIL who visits women prisoners at a state prison in Denver.

Sun tiger, those things can”buy” come at a huge mark up. Female inmates get less help than the males when it comes to needs while in jail.

I'm sure Joy. Someone I know said he'd wear a few pairs of socks when he was going to court, just in case.