2020 started My Era of Loungewear, and by June 2021, I desperately wanted a change. But I didn't really have a good starting-point, so I did a lot of thrifting and experimenting. Overall, I spent around $500 and bought a lot of stuff. Some things I loved and kept, some things I gave away to my sisters and GFs, and the rest has already been donated back or listed online.

It was money well spent, because I learned some things about what worked, what didn't work, my needs vs. preferences, and how I'd like to move forward for 2022...

2021 Summary:

2021, Part One: The Palette: I cut out a lot of black from my wardrobe, and added in lighter neutrals and more color. I created a pinterest board of colors that work with my eyes, hair, and skin tones. I also created a photo album on my iPhone, of selfies of my face and hair. Now when I shop, I hold my phone up against the garment to color-check, and decide if the color will work in my closet.

Successes: I added aqua green, turquoise, mermaid green, spruce green, cognac, whiskey, winter white, bright navy blue, peach, orange, golden yellow, pale and/or metallic gold, pale silver, and copper to my wardrobe.

Failures: Black! I thought I was wearing sooo much color, but as I went through my camera roll for back-half of 2021, every other photo is me... wearing black. And I added some new black pieces to my closet. SIGH.

2021, Part Two: Season by Season: Like most of us, I've had significant lifestyle changes, and what I used to wear (retro, film-noir inspired looks), just isn't relevant or useful in these times. So I committed to creating some reasonable, comfortable, easy formulas.

Spring/Summer 2021: In the South (Florida + Georgia) people start dressing for spring/summer by Valentine's Day, regardless of temperature, and we keep it going through the end of September.

When I planned outfit formulas and shopped, I started with themes: Safari, Nautical, Mermaid, 90s Minimalism. Indiana Jones, Ralph Lauren, and '80s adventure films were the inspo for safari and nautical looks. Carolyn Bessette Kenndy/Calvin Klein for 90s. The mermaid idea is tougher to pin down, but for me it's mainly about color and texture.

Successes: Outfit formulas!
#1: White or tan shorts + light button-down shirt or dark short-sleeve tee + wedge sandals or espadrilles. 1b - is a dressier variation, with a slightly oversize blazer and light-colored pumps or heeled sandals.

#2: Tan or light neutral pencil skirt, heeled sandals and the same tee or button-down as before.

Failures: Shorts with too long of an inseam, or too short in the rise. And, of course, black sneaking its way into my lewks.

I also found that if I don't go with a slightly oversized, menswear-style blazer in warm weather, I look like I want to sell your house for you. Y'all get those junk-mailers. You know what I'm talking about.

Fall 2021: We have a very short Fall window in Atlanta: weather-wise, Fall runs roughly early October - late November. Most people I know don't really dress for Fall any earlier, because it's just too darn hot. October-early December, I wore a lot of British equestrian and academia looks, inspired by the Indiana Jones franchise, and by my Granddad, an Englishman who wore a lot of tweeds in England and New York, before he eventually moved to Florida.

Fall Successes: Spruce green, forest green, bright navy, rich turquoise, cognacs, milk chocolate, light ivory and winter white. Granddad tweed blazers, houndstooth, plaid, equestrian and high-heeled boots, button-down blouses, printed vests and jacquard jackets.
Fall Failures: Too much teal. I find that teal shifts color depending on light: what is beautiful and flattering on me in bright natural light, makes me look dusty and dessicated under dim or artificial light. Trying to look 'trendy' with any sort of modern cropped pants. Buying too many Fall and Winter blazers, jackets and coats, overall.

Winter 2021: As I was packing to visit my parents in Florida, I realized something: once Thanksgiving is over, so is my desire for autumnal colors. I want to wear winter whites, aqua greens, turquoises, blacks and navy blues. I'm still settling on some outfit formulas. I've recently hit upon a Star Wars/Padme look, and it's one of happiest things I've worn in December. I also bought a pair of slim plaid pants by Liverpool, and wore them yesterday for Christmas, with a graphic tee, and felt kind of 60s British Mod. I'd like to explore that more.

Potential winter failure: Extremely cold weather, by my definition, is anything below 32F. I don't have an outfit formula for extremely cold weather, that sparks any sort of joy or enthusiasm.

Successes: I won't really have an idea of this, until Spring rolls around in February.

For 2022:

Overarching Goals: The question I'm asking myself for 2022 is, "How do I want to show up?" and I intend to carefully edit and curate my wardrobe around this question.

My adjectives for 2022 are going to be 'Profound' and 'Whimsical': I want more depth, but I also want more light-and-brightness. I plan to focus on wearing the brighter, more vivid colors, plus neutrals in creamy white, cognac, and tan... and to wear less black.

Shopping & Budget Allocation List for 2022:

• New eyeglasses
  • An underpinnings refresh, including shapewear-underwear
  • A new pajama/robe/slippers capsule
  • Some non-black loungewar pieces
  • A small, non-black capsule for the gym
  • Sheer hosiery and colorful tights to match assorted boots
  • Updating my swimwear capsule with some coverups and a new beach bag
  • Professional alterations for existing pieces that I haven't worn yet - two brocade skirts, a brocade coat, a vintage dark blue Ralph Lauren skirt and a plaid Granddad jacket.
  • I'm also planning to resole some favorite boots and pumps.

For Spring/Summer 2022: I would like to bring back some retro rockabilly style elements, including Hawaiian themes. And also "mermaid stuff" - i.e., more netting, seashells, pale metallics, ocean colors. I also want to experiment with Brooklyn's swishy skirts + flat sandals + tank tops formulas.

For Fall 2022: I'm not planning to buy anything for Fall 2022, because when December starts, I like to move on to wintery colors. I have plenty of clothing and shoes for a two-month span of "Mary Beth's Fall 2022 Lewks".

For Winter 2022: I'm going to wait and see how this winter goes, and will re-visit in mid-February.

Photos:
#1-3 Padme/Star Wars-inspired Winter Outfit Formula
#4-11 Fall and Winter WIWs
#12-15 Summer WIWs
#16-19 Brocade open coat + two brocade skirts to be altered
#17-20 RL Plaid Blazer and Wool Skirt to be altered

This post has 23 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.