I am inspired by all your wonderful threads about wardrobe planning and goals for this year. I spent few hours yesterday playing in my closet and trying things on to understand where are my biggest holes and needs. I shopped a lot last year, spent too much money, time, energy and thoughts on clothes but don’t have much to show for it. For this year one of my goals is to spend and shop/browse less, but that goal is conflicted by state of my wardrobe which still needs major overhaul. To accomplish this goal I need to shop smart and prioritize carefully. I reviewed all my categories/capsules yesterday and here are my findings.
- underwear - I purged about 10 bras yesterday and I am left with only 2 good fitting, one black, one nude. I think I need more than 2, will have to prioritize this. I also purged number of panties that have seen better days, but still have plenty. Camis are in good shape.
- sleepwear - all my pjs are about 3 sizes too big, but don’t think this is priority- will replace them as they wear out.
- loungewear- I refreshed this capsule last year so it is still ok, will replace only if something wears out
- activewear- I got new capsule when I started with Pilates in October, and yesterday I finally purged old stuff.
- swimwear - this one was nightmare. I haven’t purged this capsule yet but everything has to go. I need a one piece for pool and a bikini for beach. One piece is priority, bikini can wait.
- outerwear - no urgent needs there, but I would really like a new trench coat in light neutral. I wear them a lot and have currently 2 - navy and chartreuse, but if Hobbs comes out with Saskia in off white, cream or even light gray I will be very tempted.
- blazers - this is my favorite category, I wear them daily, have a lot and love shopping for them. I did a big refresh last year, and fortunately everything still fits and is in excellent condition. I do have a want here - light neutral blazer, maybe blush? in season less fabric.
- blouses and shirts - I only wear them in spring and summer, I think I have enough and everything is still wearable even if not perfect fit because I usually wear them under blazers.
- sweaters - this is my staple, especially layering ones. Have big collection and I am not that picky about the fit here. Will replace them as they wear out, no big needs or wants here.
- skirts - this capsule needs complete refresh. I wear them more in spring/summer so will postpone working on this capsule until later. I am not into skirts every year so will see how I feel about them.
- dresses - after trying on everything yesterday only 2 dresses have survived. I will try to save 2 more today by shrinking them in the wash and dryer. Hopefully this year will have a better choice of dresses, I didn’t like anything last year. Would not mind adding a dress or two.
- pants - this is my sore point. Tailored pants are staple of my office wardrobe, but don’t have any good fitting at the moment. Summer pants will need complete refresh, while winter ones I hope I can save by alterations. I will go to my tailor in next 2 weeks to see what can be done, but I worry that back pockets will overlap. I am also trying washing and drying them today in hope that they will shrink.
- jeans - I have 3 good fitting pairs, but none of them is white. Will probably need to get white jeans at some point this year.
- belts - this is pressing need. I wear belts daily and if I get some new belts I will be able to wear more of my ill fitting pants. Still thinking which color to get first to get best mileage- metallic maybe?
- footwear- booties and sneakers are ok, don’t have knee high boots which is stopping me from getting and wearing winter skirts and dresses. Sandals, pumps and loafers will need some refresh - I walk a lot and I am hard on my shoes and especially summer and spring footwear don’t last me long.
- bags, scarves, jewelry - this categories are easy to shop for - but I have enough of those, so should not be buying anything, have other more pressing needs.

So this are my needs and my plan for this year. If you got this far, thank you for reading. Hopefully by putting this into writing will keep me more accountable.