As I posted in my end of year review, 2019 was a year of intense wardrobe rebuilding, focused on workwear. This thankfully resulted in a versatile, functional wardrobe that brings me joy. Like apparently many others here, I feel like I can slow down with shopping for workwear in 2020 and be happy wearing what I have with minor refreshers.

Still, there are some wardrobe categories I spent only a teensy bit of time and money on the past couple of years. I tend to neglect the following categories, all of which I mean to focus on in 2020.

Basics (in Angie’s sense, so underwear and hosiery) I find tedious to shop for: at once hard (to asses fit based on five minutes in a dressing room or no trying on at all) and unrewarding (because they go unseen).

Investment pieces like bags and coats because it takes a lot of time and ideally, some saving up, to find something you really love. Most of the time I fail to save
up my monthly budget and buy less than perfect coats or jackets that seem like more of a budget deal. Sometimes this works. Sometimes this really doesn’t. On this (wants) list are a new crossbody bag, a weekend backpack and rainproof winter coat.

Casual wear. This deserves a separate post. Let’s just say it seems unsatisfactory to buy stuff for wearing on days spent at home by myself or with my family, only to have them stained and creased before I’ve even set one foot out the door. Of course, this reasoning has lead me to far too many days spent in pj’s or joggers & fleece. Not good for my self-respect. Now that my workwear is in good shape, I have a firm resolution to upgrade my casual wear. I’m inspired by all of you who are full-time care-providers or working from home or retired and looking
good anyway.

I’ve thought to focus on these three categories before but never succeeded. I really feel this year will be different because I have a satisfactory work wardrobe and for the first time I am actually inspired to take care of these other areas.

Have you ever focused a whole year on underrepresented wardrobe categories? Did you manage to STAY focused?