uncertainty, unexpected events, unpredictability, a pandemic.

When dealing with unprecedented changes and stress, it has given me some comfort to feel satisfied with my personal style and wardrobe. Daily routines changed unpredictably but I maintained control over my clothing choices. My style statement: Genuine Composed works well, as do my style adjectives: Fresh, Classic, Sleek, Practical, Light. My 2019 Align consultation (Mysterious type), helped me understand the lines, designs and textures that best complement my features. I can add a few pieces to keep my looks updated, but my style preferences remain consistent.

Working at home creates less need to dress for outdoor weather conditions. I have little need for winter boots or warm sweaters. I have relaxed the formality of my weekday wardrobe by wearing fewer dresses, no trousers, mostly jeans. The shift has included wearing fewer necklaces, no scarves, no bangles, larger earrings and sneakers. I do not wear slippers during work hours. I wear more solids and neutrals and fewer colors or patterns than in the past. I need less variety and feel happiest in a few favorite silhouettes.

I have culled wardrobe items that do not fit my style persona. I gave away shoes with heels >3”. I gave away sweaters, tops and jackets that were not “sleek”. I gave away all cropped and peplum tops. I have culled almost all a-line dresses and skirts. My tolerance for oversized items has diminished. A fluid fit is fine, but not anything baggy on my torso or my arms. I have started to pay attention to proportions. I prefer well defined shoulders, structure not slouch. I have been picky about neck lines and collars. I culled all but my favorite makeup, and particularly enjoy my lipstick. I have decreased the number of eyeglass frames I wear on rotation.

2020 allowed me to focus on using what I have. Most purchases replaced basics like bras, pajamas, and exercise gear. My most expensive purchase was a Tumi rolling briefcase. My favorite purchase this year was a turquoise/teal Veronica Beard long length blazer and matching trousers.

My two favorite silhouettes: 1. turtleneck and jeans, statement shoes or sneakers. 2. A Blazer over a camisole top and jeans with statement shoes or sneakers.

At the end of 2019 I decided to let my pixie length hair get longer. It’s almost shoulder length....

2020 has been surprising due to the juxtaposition of uncertainty and stress contrasted with continued wardrobe and personal style satisfaction. Dressing for work days provided a sense of division between work-time and leisure. My 2020 wardrobe served as a resource to help form comforting routine in a time of turmoil.

Happy New Year to everyone!