Just a quick rundown of my numbers this year. By my tally, I culled 39 items this year, broken down as follows:

• 4 leggings
  • 2 sweaters
  • 7 shoes
  • 1 casual dress
  • 1 vintage skirt
  • 3 pants
  • 3 jeans
  • 3 denim shorts
  • 2 gear tops
  • 1 swimsuit
  • 2 dressy tops
  • 3 casual tops
  • 6 lounge tops
  • 1 lounge bottom

Reasons included fit, fabrication, and wear-and-tear. Items were donated, sold, consigned, or recycled (taken to textile recycling at least, so I can cross my fingers they didn't end up in a landfill).

I added 37 items total, three of which are duds that I will probably pass along next year.

• Pants - 4 (2 jeans, 1 chinos, 1 corduroys)
  • Sweaters/sweatshirts - 4 (1 cotton crewneck, 2 cotton v-necks, 1 hoodie)
  • Other tops - 2 (flannel shirt, striped turtleneck)
  • Summer tops - 1 (cotton camisole)
  • Shorts - 1 (chino)
  • Dressy items - 3 (vintage cocktail dress, drapey jumpsuit, floral camisole)
  • Footwear - 9 (insulated hiking boots, fleece-lined sneakers, new gear sandals, new trail runners, canvas sneakers, black oxfords, tan mary-janes, suede oxfords, shearling boots)
  • Gear - 4 (swimsuit, leggings, fleece ¼ zip, snow pants)
  • Lounge - 6 (2 pants and 4 camis; built a capsule of summer loungewear that didn’t exist before)
  • Duds - 3 (white oxford shirt, bike shorts, vintage jeans)

Eleven of these 37 items were secondhand, but two of those eleven have ended up in the holding zone (the vintage jeans and the oxford shirt). I had ridiculously good luck with Everlane this year, at seven items. I added very little for the summer season because hot weather was so slow in arriving and because I spent a good portion of July and August traveling. I am planning on adding two or three more items before the end of the year, including big-ticket coat and boots. You can see that I invest significantly more resources in cold-season clothing!

I didn't really check my numbers much throughout the year, just kept a running list in a Google Doc. So it's pretty remarkable to me how even my in's and out's have turned out to be.