Late 2017 and now early 2018 have proven to be full of transitions for me. I'm truly an empty nester, having sent my daughter off to college and my husband to ... perdition. It's left me with peace, quiet and contemplative time, not to mention all the college bills. I also had a weight change.

From the garment requirements perspective, my situation is this: I work from home, so I can wear what makes me happy. I have a dog who needs walking or running twice daily. I occasionally need a conservative suit for checking in at the Wall Street law firm I am outside counsel to. I periodically need something dressy for events. And I travel a couple of times a year for fun. I live in a climate that is very cold in the winter.

I have never developed any style descriptors; I'm good at turning the analytical mind on others but not myself. And I'd rather not get overly analytical with fashion anyway; it seems too much like work otherwise. I can recognize what looks good on me pretty well, and also what doesn't, and adopt trends appropriately. I always like to dress well and stay fashionable in my look, even when I'm home. I don't keep any ratty clothes for loungewear.

What I want to do style-wise this year:

• Replace clothes that no longer fit, with the aim of buying fewer, but more high end items that I really love and will keep longer. I also need to not spend too much overall.
  • Stop going into must-have-new-clothes mode when I have a trip to New York or a vacation coming up. I have a tendency to think I need all sorts of new things every time -- but I want to instead have a base look or capsule ready to go, and save the shopping if any for fun on the trip. I've got a casual navy and black set fairly well in order, but need a dressier, city version.