I did not write out my goals last year and it showed by frenzied and undisciplined shopping. I tried to count the number of items added in 2017, but iBank does not provide a category count (that I could see). Suffice it to say, items purchased in 2017 might have been an all time high, thus confirming frenzied and undisciplined shopping.

Using LaP, Jenni, and Angie as guides, I attempted to write out goals for 2018. Following is a rough draft of those goals. I intend to continue to fine tune them because life changes and I want to be flexible.

I always had trouble defining a style moniker. I gave up until Angie helped me define Cozy Chic.

Despite my inability to define a style moniker, I did know the image I wanted to project: Professional; Capable; Strong; Confident; Feminine; Stylish. Fashion means a lot to me because it allows me to express my aesthetic to the world. I tell a story every time I get dressed in the morning. Is that the story I want to define me that day?

Goals

1.  Continue to build and evolve my Summer Casual Capsule. Don’t panic and buy impulsively. Be willing to sit in the moment and wait for garments that fit my lifestyle and project the image I want.

2.  Work within the numbers. There is no reason to buy more items than I can reasonably wear in a two-to-three year timeframe. Be especially aware of the fact that my taste and needs change from year to year. Try to achieve a minimum of 30 wears.

3.  Focus on Fit. This necessitates that I actually understand what good fit is. Those posts by Anchie regarding weight loss and her wardrobe shook me up because I thought she looked just fine (i.e., I could not see what the rest of the Forum saw). What does that say about how I am wearing my clothing? Scan the internet for guidelines on how clothing should fit. Review my clothing each day against those guidelines. Ask the YLF Forum if I am correct in my assessment.

4.  Focus on finishing every single outfit. I have always relied on two piece outfits (top and bottom). It takes very little effort to “finish” the outfit by adding additional interest. Accessory complements are an easy solution. I started putting accessory complements together in 2017. Continue into 2018 and be bolder.

5.  Embrace shaped softness in solid neutrals (black, white, navy, and beige). Buy fabrics that feel good against the skin.

6.  Find one really great pair of light weight hiking boots.

7.  As Jenni pointed out “The most sustainable thing I could do in life is buy less.” This will be challenging for me. I could best implement this by focusing on (1) higher quality items, and (2) previously-owned items. It might be fun to change up my method of shopping and try new retailers.

That is it for now. I tried Seasonal Shopping last year and see the power in it. My baseline wardrobe is sufficiently developed that Seasonal Shopping makes sense to continue into 2018. A person probably needs goals/guidelines even more if shopping seasonally. THAT might have been the missing part in 2017.

Thanks to all the Forum Members that helped me reach this point in my stye evolution. I know I could not have reached this point without your unselfish and gracious input. Best wishes to you in the New Year.