Jenn, I admire your organization and discipline. I can practice those things in other areas of my life, but I fear that my wardrobe is a different story -- or at least, even though it's well-organized, I don't have a ton of discipline around it. It was inspiring to read your goals and thoughts.

Janet, you ARE organized about your wardrobe.

Jenn, your love for wardrobe building and style shines through.

Your approach to your wardrobe is wonderfully analytic. Although I am an analytical person, I haven't been that way with respect to my wardrobe. I need to learn to do this. I also like the additions you've made this year, even copying you with the poncho!

shevia, our shopping methods are SO different, I could probably learn from you. You benefit so much from being open to the great finds that just seem to come to you!

Anne and SarahD8, I'm not always that trusting and I definitely do keep duplicates/replacements in my closet together with the originals for a season or so. If you do give the older things up eventually, though, things start to even out. It's just an ongoing process.

Style Fan, I wear a lot of dresses in summer, so that makes that easier. It's really easy to just default to black in winter. i know it'll match!

Janet, that's funny, because I'm more emotional in other areas of my life. I'm probably more analytical about my wardrobe than about my business, sadly.

JAileen, that poncho is actually a really great example of organized emotional shopping. I added it (at full price) to my 2016 NAS order, and it ended up being the only thing I kept. I loved the quality of the weave and fiber and it filled a need I had for a lightweight, low-volume topper for travel, as well as for chilly Colorado mornings and evenings. At this point, I've worn it more than 20 times, which I think is great for a year and a half into a pricy statement piece!

I added one last goal onto the end of my list, after looking through the beginnings of spring catalogs.

• NEW! Update my wardrobe with more "pretty" items, including florals, lace, and silk. These make me happy.

My wardrobe isn't without some of these already, but I want to shift the balance even more.

Sounds great, and really smart! You have most of the core essentials down, so now it's good to focus on what makes you happy!

Oh sure, jump on the pretty bandwagon, why don't you?

I look forward to seeing this in your wardrobe and on you ; it sounds like an organic "change"!

Thanks, Suz!

Lisa P, haha! It's possible I could be overreacting to doing that Google Arts and Culture thing that's been going around, where it compares your face to famous works of art. It's convinced I look either like Roger de la Fresnaye or any number of old Dutch men. Either way, I feel a compelling urge to soften things up.

This post has 1 photo. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.

I like your added goal. It will add a lot of interest and fun.

Adding the pretty will mesh well with your existing backdrop of great boots, sweaters and bottoms. It seems a bit easier to find in spring.

I also share your goals of hair/makeup and upgrading workout clothes. I somehow don't worry about what I look like at the gym because I'm such a mess once I start sweating. But I think cute gear might be much more motivating than DH's stretched out T's and my 10 year old bike shorts.

Thanks for sharing these. It was seeing everyone post tgoals over the last month that finally got me to do it.

Pretty is a great addition to your goals, Jenn. 2018 must be the year of pretty.

What is the thing that takes your face and compares to art? I will look up.

Jenn, I have enjoyed reading and thinking about your goals. Looking at style through the lense of others really helps me to stop and study my own. Clearly, your well defined goals are working for you! I especially like your last goal:
NEW! Update my wardrobe with more "pretty" items, including florals, lace, and silk. These make me happy.
IMO having a happiness factor in every outfit means starting the day with internal warmth and an external smile ( the best accessory there is)!

This is an amazing look back/look ahead, Jenn. So inspiring to me! I love how straightforward and organized it is, and I love some of the specific details you mentioned (very interesting to read about brands that work, new brands to you, etc.). I've been in a style rut and I need to organize my thoughts .... and your review is going to be my model. It made me see, more than anything, how important it is to look back before planning ahead. The wheels are already turning for me.

Specifically, I want to echo Suz's comment that your purchasing may feel high (especially given that 5-piece plan) but given your movement into high quality purchasing, I think it's inevitable.

Good luck with your goals - and thanks again!

What a successful 2017! Thanks for sharing the recap and your 2018 goals. I really enjoy your wardrobe and outfits. I really like the idea of adding 5 pieces per season. It seems a good way to refresh one's wardrobe and be current, while keeping the essential you the same. Have you been doing this for awhile? What do you find easy/hard about it?