I took Thursday and Friday off of work this past week, and took advantage of the time to do some clothes shopping  and actual trying -on.  Looking for casual pants , jeans, and tops, shoes/runners.   As usually happens when I have a day set aside for this , it was frustrating and demoralizing and didn't turn up a lot of the fabulous clothes and shoes I imagined were out there .  

Day one was one part of our big mall.  I tried on 3 pair of casual pants at Anthro - including a pair of Paige cotton pants that were too $$ but I was at the point where if they were super great I was willing to buy them.  I really liked a pair of Pilcro cotton pants in an interesting dark  iteal colour but couldn't figure out what I'd wear them with and nothing was styled with them in the store either .  Left Anthro empty-handed .  

On to Oak &Fort (Canadian chain that is like Club Monaco at 1/3 of the price).  Bought (without trying on because they have idiotic little change rooms with curtains and no mirrors) a pair of parachute pants, a t-shirt and a varsity-style cardigan. Sort of annoyed because any attempt I made at conversation with the guy helping me was met with a disinterested look. Next up : Gap, which had nothing I wanted. The jeans I was interested in all had big rips across the thighs. Not doing that anymore.  

Last stop - a little local boutique  (Margot & Maude) on the way home where I chatted "business"  with the owner who I really like (used to do business with her) and bought 2 Baggu bags.  Super happy with those.

Day 2 - back to do the second half of the mall, and to return the Oak & Fort merch.  Conclusion: parachute/cargo pants are not me, and I'm ok with that. Same guy who gave me no indication he recognized me from the day before.   Irritated by this kind of customer service.  I did keep a black canvas bucket hat  and a pair of sunglasses .

Over to Aritizia, which was blessedly calm. Tried on the Effortless Pant and nearly cried when I saw myself in the mirror.  Tiny changing rooms with no mirror - EVEN IN THE BIG NEW STORE!!  So I had to come out and check myself out alongside a skinny 17 year old trying on something body-con or another .I looked at everything in that store, and came to the conclusion that they've gone backwards in the age of their target market at the same rate I've moved ahead. I'm done there.  The jeans were presented in such an non-accessible manner than I didn't even try.  Racks of stiff Agolde denim in size 0 and 2 merchandised with tiny crop tops and New Balance sneakers.  Beautiful store though.  

Hit up another Cdn womenswear chain store (Melanie Lyne - usually too office-y for me)  and tried on 3 more pair of jeans.  One was ok and I may go back for them. Conclusion: big, long, loose  wide jeans do not work on me.  Just too much denim.  

Checked out a few sneaker/sports stores and decided I don't like New Balance sneakers as much as I had thought I did. I did , however find a perfect pair (NB'S)  in the youth section of the Bay (canvas and with a less Zumba-shoe like profile ) but my size wasn't available.  Even tried on some sale Ganni-look-alike lug sole chelsea boots but am so over that look right now.  Probably just winter-fatigue setting in . Gah!  

Last stop , an indie boutique outside of town which is part of a huge garden/home decor store.  I used to buy tons of stuff there but it's gone super-boho which I don't love.  Had a very interesting chat with the buyer regarding jeans trends and their best-selling style (which I bought) . Their target customer is 35 + to middle aged, with a bit of money to spend, and with a casual lifestyle.  She (buyer)  is not a fan of true high-rises ( even though she sells a ton of them ) and finds them tricky to fit . It was a blessed relief to chat with a professional who felt the way I did .  Tried on a bunch of stuff, and bought 3 things - see finds below. And that sweatshirt: My 2 fav colours in one top??? What are the chances?  It had to come home with me .

Still no shoes or sneakers, but I'm sure there is still stock to come .  
Thank you for reading!  I shop so little that I'm excited when I can , as you can tell. 

What I wore: 
sleeveless quilted vest: Soya Concept
sweater: Dynamite
jeans : Old Navy (why are these SO short?? )
boots: Dolce Vita
bag: Prada
scarf: Coach 
lilac nails , Chanel soft earth toned lipstick , purple eyeliner .  

This post has 7 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.