- A pair of Levi’s jeans — one of the oldest known pairs of Levi’s from the gold rush era — was recently sold at auction for $87,400.
- Shopbop has officially stepped into the beauty space, and is now selling brands like Ouai, Olaplex, and Lawless Beauty.
- J.Crew has opened a 1,100-square-foot men’s concept store in New York City’s NoHo neighbourhood.
- Franca Fendi, one of the five sisters who inherited the renowned Italian fashion house, has passed away at age 87.
- The Guardian reports that while the puffer jacket has dominated the coat market for the last few years, this season, quilted jackets are set to become the outerwear of choice.
- Jared Leto will star as Karl Lagerfeld in a new biopic of the designer.
- The Fashion Workers Act, a proposed New York state law, aims to protect everyone from models to make-up artists from exploitation.
Fun Fashion Quote
I like textile designer Liz Libre’s definition of style:
“At work, I do all my drawings with India ink which doesn’t come out of clothing, so I have to be careful. But to me, style is the way you wear your clothes — how you walk in them and how you interact with people in them. An old classmate of mine was raised by an eccentric aunt, who was unbelievably cool. She had purplish-black hair, carried crystals and wore tea rose perfume you could smell a mile away. In my young impressionable eyes, she was the most stylish woman because she was wholly herself.”