Most retailers went on sale the day after Christmas. With Autumn and Winter collections reduced by at least 50%, this can be a good opportunity to buy what you missed during the season. However, do not be seduced by fads at bargain prices that only have a couple of months of fashion life left in them. I like to shop for items that I can fashionably wear into Spring or next winter.
High ROI (return on investment) purchases you should consider:
- Tailored coat in a basic colour
- Tailored black jacket
- White collared shirts, romantic ruffle blouses, voluminous blouses and tunics
- Cigarette pants
- Black or black pinstripe suits
- Cocktail wear – especially little black dresses
- Ballet flats and wedge shoes
- Evening clutch bag
- Animal printed and metallic accessories
Low ROI purchases you should leave behind:
- Bubble skirts
- Tartan and hounds tooth jackets/coats
Think twice about:
- Red items – while red will not feature as a fashion colour for Spring 2007, it’s still an excellent basic colour to have in your wardrobe. Red is like black, white, cream, grey and tan. This is completely your call.
- Black items – while black will always be fashionable to wear, it is not a fashion colour for Spring. Don’t duplicate black items in your closet just because they’re on sale – beware the black rut.
Remember to shop with a plan and to leave the items that do not absolutely work for you behind. Have fun finding great bargains!