Sterling, thumbs up to you and your challenge! Well done so far!

So much fun and terribly useful for me too! I am enjoying every minute.

Thank you, Katerina. This challenge is making me experiment with accessories to a much greater degree. I have you to thank for that inspiration (among others).

Tanstaafl -- If I could have figured out how to wear that velvet top (now a favorite) untucked, the overall outfit might have been vastly improved. I have to agree with Brooklyn, those pants have a higher waist and the overall visual was not appealing to me at all. I am going to experiment with the pants some more. I used to think they looked great on me, but I certainly was not feeling it after seeing those pictures.

Elizabeth -- I have so few items in my challenge at this point for two primary reasons. One, I have dumped three items. This thrills me immensely. I am actually considering using more of my orphan items in the challenge to see what happens. Two, I am only counting pants, tops, and inside toppers. That means my entire wardrobe of "lounge" items are not included.

My BF broke his foot on January 2nd. My days this months have been hospital - home or work - home. I have done nothing else. Nothing. When I get home, I reach for my softest lounging clothes available (not part of the challenge) and white wine. It is going to be a long six weeks.

I would have been sad too if I spilled coffee down the front of my new velvet top. I don't know why I don't own MORE velvet. I seem to adore it. I keep wondering if it is a seasonal thing for me. Do I only associate velvet with deep winter holiday seasons???? I saw a woman wearing velvet pants this week. I had to touch them. Now I want a pair. Do we need to do a velvet intervention???

Fashintern -- that is a great idea about having a workshop to use the Forum to create alternate ways to wear a garment when all possibilities have been exhausted. I'll think about how to implement it. If it should slip my mind, could you please bring it up again.

I was not able to get a picture of my outfit yesterday. Here are the components that comprised Day 10. I felt beyond fabulous. Almost powerful!! That top is Eileen Fisher (not my normal style but I took a chance). It is magical. It skims the body weightlessly. I can wear it 12 months a year. It hides every single physical flaw imaginable. I feel elegant .... and then a piece of cooked salmon slide off my fork and rolled down the front of my top. Less fabulous after that ....

I can't offer a picture because I was a little afraid that the picture might burst my "bubble of power" and I couldn't have that yesterday.

Today is Day 11. It is 5:09 am. I literally have no idea what I am going to wear as I walk out the door. It will be simple though. Really simple.

This post has 1 photo. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.

Fabulous to have a power suit! I feel that way about my wonder cuffs. I wish we had EF here.
I have also been thinking about adding in a few of my orphans as the challenge goes on - to force myself to decide whether to get rid of them. Use it or lose it, so to speak.

I love the shape and color of the EF top and love how you styled it.

Thank you, Brooklyn and Toban. This idea of a "power suit" created by matching a cardigan to my bottoms is working out well for me. For simplicity I exactly duplicated an outfit from last week for Day 11. Another "power suit" based on dark denim jean and a navy cardigan. The formula will be my signature for the month of January (and as long as I can comfortably wear that third piece).

This post has 1 photo. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.

Wow, I love your description of your EF top. That's how we should feel about all our tops, isn't it? If only... Do you have a style name for that by the way? Might be worth some eBay stalking...

It sounds like adding colour, dressier shoes, and jewellery makes you feel powerful, Sterling. Nicely done.

Thank you, Angie. I am having a productive work week and I feel great.

Elizabeth -- I don't know the exact name of the top. I bought it on eBay in 2017. The top below is somewhat similar. Three differences. One, the sleeves on the magenta are "cap" sleeves. Two, the length of the magenta seems longer than what the picture below illustrates. Three, mine is silk and the one below tencel.

Should I find anything similar I will alert you immediately.

Day 12: I plan on wearing my jeans a second day. It occurred to me that I do not have "dressier" tops to wear with jeans in a casual office setting. I have lots of options in my closet, but I don't want to add a single one of them to my 30 x 30 challenge. I think this "says" something really important.

I may literally duplicate the same exact outfit I wore yesterday today. It is clean. I felt good. I can't think of anything else to wear from my entire closet. So I am starting to identify wardrobe holes.

The other option is just a plain white button down shirt. Same outfit. Just add a button down shirt instead of the tee shirt. This does not excite me at all. I am not excited about getting dressed this morning.

This post has 2 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

Sounds like you have definitely identified a gap - dressy top with color. Do you have a colorful scarf or necklace that you can incorporate into the repeat outfit or to add interest to the white top?

It is clear, that your work on this challenge is giving results and you are identifying wardrobe gaps, getting new ideas, embracing what you like and getting clear ideas about what you don´t like.

In my opinion, your outfit is classic, simple and elegant. I am sometimes not excited about getting dressed in the morning, and sometimes, getting a satisfactory outfit is a struggle. Sometimes, there are other factors than clothes and wardrobe which cause such feelings (lack of time, tiredness, having a cold etc.). It does not have to be the outfit being boring, the same outfit can feel absolutely right on another morning. Well, just saying how it works for me

I also agree with Toban - scarves can change the character of a whole outfit.

Thank you, Toban and Katerina. Based on your wonderful suggestions, I added a scarf. The same navy blue scarf (to coordinate with my jeans) that I wore in the WIW earlier on this thread. I am wearing it long, untied. Just adding color and interest.

You are so good at staying connected to and articulating the emotional aspect of style, Sterling. I am learning a lot from you.

Great outfit, Sterling! Did you put together the ensemble pic using Stylebook?

Hi Emily -- I bought Style Book. I am loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had bought it earlier. I literally just learned how to "print" an outfit using Style Book. The visuals help me immensely and I am learning a lot about what types of garments I buy over and over and over again. I am wondering if there is a way to print the calendar for January. This would instantly show my 30 x 30 challenge ensembles. I can monitor to see too that even though I am wearing things on repeat, there is enough variance to satisfy a public audience. If you are even considering Style Book as a tool, I am endorsing it. I think I paid $4.25 or something like that.

Thank you, Sarah. It should not surprise you that I am learning a lot from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I added the white button down shirt to the 30 x 30. See below.

1. Faded Glory Ponte Pants in Grey
2. Caslon Long Sleeve Tee Shirt in Navy
--. Grey Long Line Cardigan in Mottled Grey (DONATED)
3. Kut from the Kloth Jeans in Beautitude
4. Gap Short Sleeved Tee Shirt in White
5. NEW Landsend Cardigan in Navy
--. Nordic Track Half Zip Fleece Top (DONATED)
6. Old Navy Boyfriend Velvet Top in Medium Blue
7. Kut from the Kloth 'Diana' Ponte Pants in Black
8. Gap Cotton Cashmere Shawl Cardigan
--. Landsend Short Sleeved Knit Top in Fresh Blue (DONATED)
9. Eileen Fisher Slim Ponte Pant in Charcoal
10. Eileen Fisher Short Sleeved Silk Top in Magenta
11. Old Navy Cardigan in Medium Grey
12. Brooks Brothers Tailored Fit White Dress Shirt in White.

Screenshot!

Great idea, Sterling. I’m putting together a “packing list” of my outfits, so this would be a great way to show the items as well. Albeit kinda small.

So.... your dilemma.... why are you not interested in getting dressed?
Do you do what I do when trying to pick a minimal wardrobe, and pick things that all mix and match and therefore are all pretty -well - boring? You are a fairly simple dresser, do you maybe need to get some items with a bit more interest so they can stand alone? (Another thing I have discovered about myself).

I can't really get into the 30 by 30 challenge but I'm highly amused by the need for a velvet intervention. In high summer for me, I'm more likely to need a sandal intervention. Buy no more until some are culled!

How did I not see this thread the last few days?! Thank you, Sterling, for hosting this challenge. I am also finding items that I do not want to add to my 30. That is important information and sometimes difficult to figure out why. I am learning from you and others about proportions, one of my difficult areas. This weekend I will try to update my pieces in the 30 items so far. I see one reason I do not want to add some pieces is because I consider them more "Cold Spring" although I would welcome working with the colors now. Something to think about. So far I have found an item to be donated and one I need to duplicate. One top has been brought out of orphandom to become a favorite as long as it is cold. (too scratchy if is too warm). I am learning that color from accessories ( like scarves) and underwear can satisfy my color cravings.

Sterling, I'm intrigued by Style Book, but I'm getting good utility from "Finds" so I hesitate to duplicate effort. I appreciate your recommendation--I know that you were hesitant to commit. I'll beetle on over to the app store and check it out again.

Emily -- it is a duplication of effort between Finds and Style Book. I am trying to use both during the 30 x 30 challenge but I won't be able to keep it up.

I like Finds for purposes of interacting with the Forum. It is so easy to grab that Find and instantly illustrate a point. I like Style Book for my personal wardrobe planning. It immediately visually shows if I have too many of a particular item. It also provides statistics. I have a secret love for statistics.

Thank you, Elizabeth. I'm following your examples for Style Book. LOVE IT.

The question you posed: Why are you not interested in getting dressed? It is literally only Day 13 and I am overcome with how much information related to wardrobe planning that I have gleaned in these few days. I can't answer that question. I am a blank. But that does not mean I won't be giving it serious thought. WHY can't I answer that question? It seems like it should be a no-brainer.

Laughs with Jenni.

Joy -- sometimes threads slip to the second or third page. I miss them too. Don't give it a second thought. I know you are out there assessing and evaluating!!!

I'll be interested in following your thoughts on colors.

I am going to come clean and admit that on Days 13 and 14, I am going to be wearing either athletic clothes (not included in the Challenge) or lounging clothes (not included in the Challenge). My BF broke his foot and with the exception of the gym/grocery shopping, we have nothing planned for the next two days. I almost skipped my workouts, but my BF encouraged me to go and I went. Happy I went, but I won't be leaving the house again until tomorrow.

Don’t worry about it Sterling. I think we are all being pretty flexible about the challenge. It evolves!
Have a good weekend!

Sterling, relax and take care of your boyfriend. Wear whatever is cozy.

I’m embarrassed to say I forgot about your boyfriend’s injury. I take back what I said earlier today on my thread about your plans sounding divine, but will re-up my wishes for a *restorative* weekend. Good for you for getting to the gym despite it all, and good on your boyfriend for encouraging you!

Hey guys, what do you think about this designe?
Check it here : https://teespring.com/perfect-january-2018

Don't give it a second thought, Sarah. The past couple of weeks have gone well (it could have been much worse). He is in a walking cast and can hobble around. My goal is to limit the amount of hobbling he has to do.

Here are my goals in life right now: make it to work every single day; make sure we have sufficient food; make sure he makes it too all doctor appointments; make sure I get sufficient rest to avoid getting sick myself.

I am genuinely ok with all of this. I am focusing on cooking!! I am experimenting with new recipes. I am testing my housekeeping system. Is everything still getting done to my somewhat OCD level???

So I was laying on the sofa yesterday, watching really bad TV, and thinking. Having read Toban's wonderful post:

https://youlookfab.com/welookf.....ransitions

I was visualizing the fit of some of my clothes on my body. No. I did not get up and go and try any of the clothes on. I was merely "thinking." I concluded that a number of my clothes might not pass the "Toban Fit Test." I probably already knew this, but had been in denial.

I then jumped on the internet and shopped J Jill. They were having a sale! YAY me. I found several things I really liked, but the idea of getting up and getting dressed and going to the mall seemed like torture. I tried to imagine it as "being fun." Nope. I could not do it.

I like the "idea" of cruising the mall, trying on things, getting the fit perfect, but right now, it seems like a lot of work. I ordered my favorite Kut from the Kloth Jeans in a smaller size. YAY Amazon.

Anyway the point is I am going ruthlessly assess fit in every single garment going forward. Fit. Fit. Fit. will be my mantra for all of 2018. I don't know if 2018 will be a really inexpensive or expensive clothing year. I'm going to be brave and roll with the punches.

OH! I did assess the fit of my bras yesterday. I was satisfied that I am wearing the correct bra size.

I think my 30 x 30 Challenge has taken a sharp right turn. It might turn out to be more of an assessment of the fit of my clothing in my existing wardrobe than I had originally anticipated. As I add items into my challenge, I will be ruthlessly evaluating and assessing.

You are already half way there if your bras are the right size! One of the things I really like about this challenge is the flexibility that you set it up with. And if you weren’t up to shopping, it’s better to not have gone. If I’m not in the right mind set when I go I either end up discouraged at not finding anything I really love or I end up buying things that don’t really work.

Hi Sterling, so happy to hear that you are going to focus on fit. it is a lot of work and cruising the mall and trying things on aren’t fun but is necessary because with online ordering you are often guessing what size and don’t have a comparison point of trying two sizes (unless you order multiple sizes). I would love to shop with you, but I suspect we are geographically distant? I’m in the DC area. You should consider a closet edit with a local stylist to help you if you feel/get stuck. When I did my first big purge, removing HALF my wardrobe at once was really scary — what would I wear? But there were multiple good outfit combinations left and I started to figure out a slow replacement plan for essentials.

Went shopping yesterday and purchased new gym tights, which became an essential replace last week when the waist wouldn’t stay put during anything with reaching or jumping. I felt so awesome when I realized I fit a size 8! I had brought both an 8 and 10 to the fitting room. Yay!

ETA — assess fit and needs before buying more clothes, it might surprise you on what might be the most important priorities.