It's taken me awhile to find time to reflect on the past year, because I've managed to spend the better part of late December and early January traveling (10 days in the southwest, a week with family in Vermont and Quebec, and another week with family in New Brunswick). Thus, not much screen time and definitely no fretting over challenges of any sort, style or otherwise. I suppose I could call nonstop travel-capsuling a challenge?

The big shift in my wardrobe habits this year was that I transitioned toward a pretty serious trading mentality. I did still buy some things, and also sold/consigned some things, but a big chunk of my wardrobe churn this year took place through the trading app Lucky Sweater, brand-specific social media swaps, or in-person meet-ups. The breakdown for my new additions was: 14 traded, 11 bought new, and 8 bought secondhand. The overall number of additions, 33, is very much in line with previous years. My 2023 Collection does *not* include trades and secondhand purchases that didn't work out and were immediately re-listed.

I'm still mulling over where I'd like to take my style in 2024. I've pretty much accomplished a full "lifestyle alignment", moving on all of the pieces that felt too stodgy, fussy, or "office-y" to new homes where (I hope) they'll be put to better use, and embracing crossover styles that walk the line between casual wear and outdoor gear (and yes, you might catch me paddleboarding in a linen skirt and top! Great sun protection!). In addition to having more practical pieces, I also have more fun pieces, things that aren't necessarily for everyday wear but are perfect for occasional wear without being "too much" for the sort of occasions I attend. With trading, I've given myself permission to take risks on things that I wouldn't try if I were looking at a price tag, but if the "price" is giving away something I'm not using anyway, why not?

For now, my only goal is to see how long I can extend my no-buy streak, and to date I have not purchased any apparel since early December. I don't have any hard numbers in mind, as a find I've found trying to establish and extend a streak (thanks, Wordle) is far more motivating for me, and less likely to result in binging. Even if I do decide to buy one or two things after a couple months, I can just start over again the next day and see if I can go a little longer next time. (My longest Wordle streak is ~60 days, because I go offline too often to play daily. I'm curious to see if I can beat that with my no-buy and suspect it won't be much of a struggle.) Trades are not off-limits, so I can still satisfy my novelty-seeking self that way. If I do buy something, I'll prioritize secondhand and small businesses, as I've already been doing for quite some time.

My only complaint about trades is that it hasn't been a great way for me to add footwear or pants. These are the trickiest things for me to fit; so far, I haven't found any of my preferred shoe brands available for trade in my size (highly particular feet! doesn't help that I often go for men's/unisex sizes these days), and the pants I've received through trades haven't been good enough fits to keep. That said, I have more than enough jeans and trousers to see me through the next year -- great silhouette/color variety at the moment, so not going to sweat it. I might add shoes and bags this year; these are not categories where I tend to overshop, and when I do find the right thing it's a huge style boost.

On that note, my final purchase of 2023 was the Rive Droite sac banane I'd been eying and mulling over for months. In the end, I opted for the olive/tomato red combo, and I LOVE it. It adds just enough pop and goes with everything. It works really well with my many navy/black/dark brown coats and jackets, standing out just enough without being eye-wateringly bright. It will never be quite as versatile as my beloved Patagonia belt bag, as it lacks a buckle and thus has to go on/off over the head, but the size, look, and fabric are all exactly what I wanted. I would not hesitate to buy another Rive Droite bag -- the quality is excellent and I appreciate their use of recycled/deadstock fabrics.

Looking forward to carrying this relaxed/intuitive approach into 2024! Thanks and high fives to anyone who read this far.