January seems like a very, very long time ago, and 2020 was so unexpected, I'm not even sure it's fair to base any sort of assessment off of what I thought back then, but here's what I set out to do at the start of the year:

1. Shrink and simplify. Not really. I started the year with 103 wardrobe pieces (including daytime clothing, gear clothing, footwear, outerwear, and non-jewelry accessories) in my closet, and another 10 pieces in my holding zone. I now have 104 pieces in my closet and 9 in the holding zone. Net change of nada.
  2. Return to using the 5-piece French system, with two annual purchasing seasons, focusing on supporting brands that match my lifestyle and values. Sort of? I was really conscious this year of how many statements vs. essentials I bought. I ended up with 15 purchases, 9 of which fell into the "statement" category, either by being a true statement, pricier than normal, or somewhat experimental. Also, not everything I bought this year was sustainable, but most of it was.
  3. Spend more per item. Definitely did this. When I added up the budget, I spent about the same as in 2019, but bought five fewer items. The difference in quality shows, too.
  4. Focus on summer. Absolutely. There's not one sweater in the mix from this year's purchases, which is good because, so far, it's been a warm winter, even by Southern California standards. It's only rained once since May, and highs in the past week have been in the 70s and 80s.
  5. Hair and glasses. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  6. Remember my keywords--casual, luxe, natural, feminine, textured. I think these mostly worked. I'm questioning "feminine" as a keyword, because it makes me think of bows and ruffles, which are definitely not for me. A better word might be "fluid." Not in the "gender-fluid" sense, but in the sense of pieces that have some movement and collapse against the body rather than being highly seamed and structured.
  7. Dress joyfully. My word of the year was "joy," and I learned a lot this year about embracing joy in the smallest moments, but did I dress joyfully? I don't think so. I dressed functionally and mindfully, and I loved what I wore, but joyful might be a stretch.

As for purchases this year, they're all in the collection below. Big winners were the Warp & Weft jeans and the AllBirds flats--both over 50 wears already. The Only Child top, Miz Mooz sandals, and the long-sleeved linen Elizabeth Suzann dress have more than 30 wears. I think the rust Sundance ruched tee may have been a mistake, but time will tell.

I have some thoughts about how I'm going to do things differently in 2021, but I'll write about that separately.

Also, will be back to add a few favorite WIWs from the year.

This post has 10 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.