Fashiontern - I can't speak for Jenni, but I will speculate. Sometimes excess belongings, even if an item has been useful or may be useful in the future, feels like mental clutter, and too much of it is unsettling. Order in ones surroundings (variable from person to person) can bring peace of mind and relaxation.

If someone chooses to get rid of old belongings and brings in new belongings in their place, it is often because they are expecting the new belongings to suit their needs better and move them toward their updated goals. Of course one can argue if there is space that the potential item should be kept, or that the churn of bringing in something new when something old will suffice is wasteful. Jenni, as well as others, may have competing fashion, comfort, consumption, and financial goals. On top of that, how we view ourselves and how we want to present ourselves adds an emotional element that cannot be discounted.

Fashiontern -- I have not had time to read every single response on this thread. My apologies if I inadvertently step on anyone's toes.

From what I have read, I do understand Jenni's question because I myself have posed the same question to myself. In my case, I buy black slacks (lots and lots of black slacks). In time my collection can become overwhelming if I do not do some careful editing along the way. I am wondering if Jenni is not just carefully assessing her shoe collection and making some decisions based on changing feet/changing styles/space issues/need to refresh and rebuild.

It is painful to be sure. A lot of us look at the money we spent and the number of times we wore the article. I know I can feel terrible shame as I place that old pair of black pants into the donate pile and then buy a new pair of very similar black pants!!!!!!! I am working hard at changing old behaviors, but it does take some time.

Does this help you understand? Can you phrase your question differently?

Yes! The 90s *were* just the other day! My daughter will be 21 in October and I'm still wearing shoes I had when I married her dad. In the case of the Cole-Haans I mentioned, I guess since you're getting rid of your square toes I'll have to put my money where my mouth is and get rid of mine...

Laura you may wait until I let you know they have actually been dropped off at the hospice! I like to gather a few items together first as the parking isn't very good there