Next week, we're taking a 12 day road trip, sight-seeing all the way from Eastern Nebraska to Los Angeles. We're fitting eight people in an eight-passenger mini-van, so there's not lots of room to spare. I made the following packing list for my kids:

5 undies
4 tops (three short and one long sleeved)
3 bottoms (two shorts or skirts, one long pants)
2 shoes (one sandals, one close-toed)
1 jacket

Additionally, there will be a bag with a "nice" outfit for each of us (to wear to the wedding we're going to), and a bag for PJs, and a bag for swimwear.

We are planning to do laundry at least once, probably twice.

I'm trying to adhere to the same guidelines I gave the kids (it's not easy!)

Tops: red, blue and gray. All ones that I don't mind if they get ruined or stained, they're comfy and breathable. Still deciding on the long sleeved top. I should probably go with something sweater-like for frigid A/C situations, but I want to be able to layer it over my short-sleeved ones here... Hmm...

Bottoms: gray jeans (most comfy, don't mind if they get ruined), and navy capris (also comfy, and don't mind if they get ruined). Trying to decide on a third bottom - maybe the gray sporty capris, or the black more polished capris? Or maybe a skirt? Not sure. Should I consider blue jean capris?

Jacket: I'm not sure: I want to take my blue denim (I'll probably wear it with my swim suit), but I'm also kinda wanting either my pink sporty jacket or my orange denim jacket, to provide some color in an otherwise pretty drab capsule.

Shoes: These Dansko sandals and my runners. I may cheat an throw in my keens (they're red), since they're good for water. I also have these black water shoes.... decisions, decisions...

I'll be taking my black belt, so that I have something bookend my shoes, since I'm taking nothing else black... (Maybe I should reconsider that too...)

#1 The three tops with gray jeans
#2 ditto, with navy capris
#3 potential gray capris
#4 black capris
#5 pink jacket
#6 jean jacket
#7 orange jacket

What are your thoughts? Advice? What's a good third "bottom"? And what's a good jacket? Will I be terribly bored with this few clothes? Is there an easy way to infuse something bright into this mix?

Whoa. I wrote a book. Kudos to you if you read this far.

ETA: See a few comments down for a striped top option with each of these bottoms....

This post has 7 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.