I'd like to add my own revelations and resolutions to the growing list.

2012 was my first full calendar year on the forum; I joined in May 2011 so I'd already had one summer/ fall season, but I date my full participation really from the autumn of 2011.

I started that season with a fairly empty closet, apart from some consignment clothes and others donated by friends. I've made quite a lot of purchases in 2012. Some of them, in retrospect, were great purchases . And some were sort of dumb. But it's all part of the learning process, and mostly I've been able to wear the clothes I bought with pleasure.

Allthough at times it seemed as if my style was going nowhere, as a new year begins, I think I"m much closer now to a true personal style -- one that feels like an expression of who I am and that fits with my actual needs.

Some key revelations:

I've come to believe that while it's nice to buy quality pieces, not every article of clothing needs to last for years. It is okay to retire items after a couple of seasons or even after one season if I've worn the heck out of it in the first season's go-round. I've also come to realize that I'm that kind of dresser. I pick favourites and wear them repeatedly in a season and really enjoy that; but by next year I will be onto something new.

I discovered taupe as one of my neutrals, along with navy, ink blue, and denim. It plays well with my blues and greys and also gets along with the black that I can't quite eradicate from my wardrobe.

I figured out my signature colours -- fuchsia, peacock blue, cranberry red, orchid.

I embraced the slouch. While I still wear two pairs of legging jeans (mostly tucked into boots and/or with oversize sweaters) on the whole I'm preferring my slouchier jeans and trousers.

I found myself more and more attracted to modern and fairly minimal items and outfits. Although I still rely on scarves to add some pattern and neck warmth in winter, I'm even looking for ways to reduce my use of that accessory -- which means looking for more pattern, texture, and shine in my footwear, belts, and bags, and also looking for individual clothing items that pack a punch. They may be essentials, but they also need to make a statement.

I fully embraced booties.

I paid much more conscious attention to what I ACTUALLY wear and feel comfortable wearing in my day-to-day life, and also began to subdivide my activity capsules in way that helps me make sense of my continuing discovery of wardrobe holes. Heck, until very recently, I could never even identify wardrobe holes as such!

Going forward, a prediction and a resolution:

Prediction: I'll go even further along the menswear influenced direction. It's a look I really like, and one that works pretty well on my small busted, long-necked, fairly straight figure. It's consistent with my love of jackets and jeans. And it can always be feminized a bit with fuchsia.

Resolution: I am shopping in advance for the fall/winter season, hopefully with an actual NAS trip. This is the first year I feel I might be able to predict my wants and needs with any accuracy. So I'm saving my pennies for that, starting now.

This post has 19 photos. Photos uploaded by this member are only visible to other logged in members.

If you aren't a member, but would like to participate, please consider signing up. It only takes a minute and we'd love to have you.