It’s that time if year again! What are we going to wear to the office Christmas party, a dressy dinner or the New Year’s celebration? I’m getting many questions along these lines on “Ask Angie”, so I thought I’d devote a few blog entries to the topic.
Your outfit choices for such occasions are always the same. Before I delve into specifics – you’ll need to select one of the following ensembles:
- Little black dress – there is nothing more fashionable and appropriate to wear at the moment then that little black dress. Black remains the strongest fashion colour this season and nothing is quite as festive, elegant or girly as a dress.
- Cocktail dress – if black is not for you; try something red, smoky grey, brown, blue or metallic. Iridescent fabrications add interest and depth, and tend to look better-end and more sophisticated. If you are uncomfortable wearing a dress that is flimsy, select a fully lined and structured style instead. You might not find a huge selection in colourful cocktail dresses at the moment with anything black being the order of the evening.
- Dressy suit – either a pants or skirt suit will do the trick. Pant suits capture this season’s fashion moment a little more than skirts (in keeping with the androgynous trend). Dressy means tuxedo style pants, satin piped lapels and velvet trim – something a little more then what you’d wear to work.
- Dressy separates – these are a particularly good choice if you have a few occasions to go to as you’ll be able to mix and match your items cost effectively. Dressy slacks or skirts teamed with shimmery or sequined tops and a formal trench coat or jacket will have you looking the part for any formal occasion.
Once you’ve chosen one of the ensembles above – the finishing touches are also always the same:
- Heels – you’ll ruin your outfit with flat shoes. You’ll need height to create that long lean line, even if it’s only with a one inch kitten heel.
- Small bag – no totes or slouchy hobos. Dainty clutches or glittery evening bags are best.
- Jewelry – choose one piece to wear with your outfit and make a statement with it.
This party season cheat sheet will hopefully give you a better idea of what to look for when you shop for an ensemble. You might already have the outfit and merely want to update the accessories. Enjoy your social function and make an entrance with what you wear!
Two fashion forward party ensembles from Max Studio.