I finally went through my spreadsheets and receipts and did a final tally. I added 36 items in 2016, consigned or re-sold 30, and donated or trashed 12. Total number of clothing items purchased was 106, 70 of which were returned*. The break-down:

Tops (including sweaters/hoodies/etc) - 12
Bottoms (including skirts) - 12
Dresses - 1
Accessories - 5
Footwear - 3
Outerwear - 3

My numbers are MUCH lower than I'd anticipated, and more balanced too. I certainly didn't feel like I added 12 bottoms, but to be fair half of them fall into the gear/travel/gear-casual category. I wear them a lot, but in my mind it doesn't feel the same as adding jeans.

Moreover, purchases were split almost evenly between F/W and S/S (19 and 17, respectively), though it certainly didn't feel like it -- since I didn't shop much at all between March and September last year (closed on a house, then went on vacation shortly after moving in!).

From a one-in one-out perspective, I actually got rid of more than I brought in. For 2017 I'd like to stay at about this level, but put more energy into shoes and accessories. I might, might be getting to the point where my basics are in order and I can start thinking in terms of statements. I'm not particularly concerned with whether my wardrobe gets larger or smaller, as long as its functionality and joy-factor continue to increase, or at least hold steady.

*I didn't include socks and underwear in this tally, since I always buy the same ones, and I felt they would skew my rate-of-return. Also, I buy them as direct replacements for worn-out items, so they don't have an impact on the size of my wardrobe.